Conservation of Energy (physics)

In summary, the bowling ball has the least speed at the bottom of its swing and the greatest speed between the middle point and the highest point. This is because at the bottom, it is just starting to gain speed as it falls, and at the top it is approaching 0 m/s. The ball also has the least kinetic energy at the bottom and the most potential energy at the highest point. This is because kinetic energy is related to velocity, and the ball has the most velocity at the bottom and the least at the top. Finally, the ball has the greatest mechanical energy at the highest point, when it has the most kinetic and potential energy combined.
Knfoster
1. A bowling ball is hanging by a wire from the ceiling, and is swinging back and forth...

2. At what position(s) does it have the least speed?, greatest speed?, least kinetic energy and why?, greatest kinetic energy and why?, greatest mechanical energy and why?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to go about getting to the answer. Is it just a conceptual quesition, or do I need to consider some sort of equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, this is a conceptual question.

Try to think about the energy at different points in the motion. What types of energy will be present when the bowl is at the very top of its swing? What happens to this energy as the ball progresses?

Well, I've already figured that the least potential energy when the ball is straight down, and the most potential energy when the ball is at the highest point, but how do you figure in the speed (velocity) from this? Is it that the ball will be moving the fastest between the middle point and the high point, because at the top it would be approaching 0 m/s and at the bottom it would be approaching 0 m/s? And how does mechanical energy work in this example?

Why would it be approaching 0m/s at the bottom? It has the most kinetic energy when it has the least potential and velocity is related to kinetic energy, what's the hang up?

I don't know. I guess it wouldn't... it would be picking up speed as it fell and then slowing as it goes up, so I guess the speed would be the greatest at the bottom.

I figured out all of it except the mechanical energy? How does this work?

mechanical energy = kinetic+potential, what can you say about this quantity?

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

How does conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy applies to everyday life in the sense that energy is always conserved, even in our daily activities. For example, when we turn on a light switch, electrical energy is transformed into light and heat energy. The sum of these energies remains constant.

What are the different forms of energy that are conserved?

There are many forms of energy that are conserved, including mechanical energy, thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, and chemical energy. These forms of energy can be transformed into one another, but the total amount remains constant.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This law is a fundamental principle in physics and is applicable to all physical systems.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it allows us to make predictions about how energy will behave in various situations. It is a fundamental law of nature that is essential for understanding and explaining many physical phenomena, from simple everyday occurrences to complex scientific processes.