Conservation of energy problem.

In summary: For this problem, we're going to use the conservation of energy to figure out how much kinetic energy is lost. Kuba figured that at the bottom of the slide, after she's come down for a bit, her kinetic energy is equal to the difference in potential energy between the top of the slide and where she started. Her potential energy is at the top of the slide, and her kinetic energy is at the bottom of the slide. After subtracting her initial kinetic energy from her initial potential energy, she has a final kinetic energy of 33kg.
PhysicsPhun
A 33.0 kg child slides down a long slide in a play ground. she starts from rest at a height h1 of 19.00 m. When she is partway down the slide, at a height h2 of 9.00 m, she is moving at a speed of 8.90 m/s. Calculate the mechanical energy lost due to friction.

I know that Conservation of mechanical energy is K2 + U2 = K1 + U1. I don't really know how to start this problem though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the conservation of energy means this:
if you slide on a slide long enough and the slide is steep enough, your butt will eventually be set on fire. We all know this, right?

Well, the energy that was "set free" by coming down those 10 meters had to go somewhere. It went into two places: heat generated at the butt-slide interface and your kinetic energy. The "set free" is quoted since it's the most awkward and unscientific way of saying it. But I'm trying to get to the point quickly

So,
Eg=Q+Ek
Eg-difference in potential energy at endpoints of the motion
Q-heat generated to keep your butt warm
Ek-kinetic energy difference at endpoints of the motion
_f = final, _0 = (read "not") is initial

Ek=Ek_f-Ek_0=Ek_f since you start at rest and thus Ek_0=0. Then Ek=m*v_f^2=33kg*(8.90m/s)^2

Eg=m*g*h_f-m*g*h_0 = m*g*(h_f-h_0) = 33kg*9.81m/s^2*(19m-9m)

Q is the unknown, mostly butt-absorbed heat that you need to solve for.

Kuba

After reading over that i got 623.37 Joules.. that's not right is it?

Hehe. It's an entertaining way to put it btw :)

I don't know. You should have something like

[tex]Q=E_g-E_k=m(g\,\Delta h-{v^2\over2})[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 1928.035 by Adding Initial Kinetic Energy and Initial Potential Energy and then subtracting Final Kinetic Energy and Initial Kinetic Energy.

I think that's right, and you were probably saying the same thing with different symbols, hehe.

Thanks alot.

Initial kinetic energy was zero :smile:
Kuba

What is the conservation of energy problem?

The conservation of energy problem refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs all physical processes. It allows scientists to accurately predict and understand the behavior of various systems, from simple objects to complex biological systems.

What are some examples of the conservation of energy in everyday life?

Examples of the conservation of energy in everyday life include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a ball rolling down a hill, and a light bulb emitting light. In each of these cases, energy is transformed from one form to another, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

What happens when the conservation of energy is violated?

When the conservation of energy is violated, it means that the total amount of energy in a system is not constant. This can lead to unexpected or unpredictable results, and can indicate a flaw in our understanding of the system or the laws of physics.

How do scientists study the conservation of energy?

Scientists study the conservation of energy through experiments and mathematical models. They carefully measure and track the energy in a system, and use equations and laws of physics to predict how energy will be conserved and transformed. They also use advanced tools such as computer simulations to study complex systems and verify the validity of the conservation of energy principle.