1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy Problem

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.00-kg ball is attached to the bottom end of a length of 10-lb (44.5-N) fishing line. The top end of the fishing line is held stationary. The ball is released from rest while the line is taut and horizontal ([tex]\theta[/tex]) = 90.0 degrees). At what angle [tex]\theta[/tex] (measured from the vertical) will the fishing line break?

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Energy:
    Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure that I have to start with the conservation of energy equation, however, I am not quite sure that I have enough numbers to put in to solve for anything. Also, I have no idea what circumstances would cause the fishing line to break. I'm just clueless as to where to begin here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

At what force will the line break? 10 lb test line breaks at ...44.5N? That's what it looks like.

So ... what will the force on the line be?

Doesn't the change in potential energy = kinetic? Might that have something to do with the velocity?

Won't there also be a component of gravity acting on the weight?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?