Conservation of energy problem

In summary, the problem was solved by properly using the energy equation and accounting for the effects of friction.
bodensee9
problem solved. Thanks!

Attachments

• springpic.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance I see one error in your energy equation.

In the potential term you need the height difference, which is:

(Lsin30) not (h + Lsin30)

Last edited:
Hello:

But point A is on the ground, even below the beginning of the friction part. So wouldn't the potential different be (h + Lsin30)?
Thanks.

Its hard to tell what you mean since I can't see the image yet, but from your description the frictional part if the path is on the incline, correct?

If so to find the change in PE, you need the change in height caused by sliding from A to B. This is Lsin30. Draw a picture and see for yourself.

Of course, I could be thinking of some different set up to this problem. Its hard to tell without the image.

Hello:

Sorry, so the box is on the flat part at the beginning. Point A is there. Then, the incline is initially frictionless up to a vertical height h, and then the friction part begins. The friction part has length L. So if I were to start from the flat part, wouldn't the change in PE = mg(h + Lsin30)? (because the box has to climb up a height h first to reach the friction part). Thanks.

bodensee9 said:
Hello:

Sorry, so the box is on the flat part at the beginning. Point A is there. Then, the incline is initially frictionless up to a vertical height h, and then the friction part begins. The friction part has length L. So if I were to start from the flat part, wouldn't the change in PE = mg(h + Lsin30)? (because the box has to climb up a height h first to reach the friction part). Thanks.

OK right. Then you have the correct PE term. The answers should come out to be the same.

So, next step. What are the two different answers your getting? I'll have an easier time finding your mistake if I can see the answers that your getting.

Hello:

So, doing the old kinematics way, I got 3.5 m/s. But doing it the energy way, I have:
1/2*m*8^2 = m*9.8*(2 + .75sin30) + 1/2*m*v^2 + m*9.8*cos30*.75. which comes out to be around 2.17?? Thanks.

bodensee9 said:
Hello:

So, doing the old kinematics way, I got 3.5 m/s. But doing it the energy way, I have:
1/2*m*8^2 = m*9.8*(2 + .75sin30) + 1/2*m*v^2 + m*9.8*cos30*.75. which comes out to be around 2.17?? Thanks.

Your set-up of the problem is correct and your understanding of the physics is excellent. Good job!

Your problem is in the execution of your approach, in the section I bolded above. The work done by friction is
= F * [tex]\Delta[/tex] r,

= [tex]\mu[/tex]k * n * [tex]\Delta[/tex] r

= (0.4) * m (9.8 m/s2) * cos30 * (0.75 m)

You forgot to use the coeeficient of kinetic friction in your equation, to find the work done by the force of friction.

Try that, and see if you get the exact same answer both ways.

Oh thanks! That took care of the problem!

1. What is the conservation of energy problem?

The conservation of energy problem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs all physical processes. It allows us to predict and understand the behavior of objects and systems, and is essential for developing technologies and solving real-world problems.

3. How is the conservation of energy problem applied in real life?

The conservation of energy is applied in various ways in real life, such as in the design of renewable energy systems, understanding the behavior of moving objects, and in the study of natural processes like photosynthesis and cellular respiration.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of nature that has been extensively tested and has never been found to be violated. However, in some cases, it may seem like energy is being created or destroyed, but this is due to incomplete understanding or measurement errors.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the conservation of energy?

One common misconception is that energy can be created out of nothing or disappear into nothingness. Another is that energy can be used up completely, when in reality it is only transformed into a different form. It is also important to note that while energy is conserved, it can be dissipated or lost due to factors like friction and heat.