1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy problem

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Example: A 50 kg gymnast does giant circles around a horizontal bar. At the top of her swing her center of mass is 1.0 m above the bar travelling 1.2 m/s. what is the speed of her center of mass at the bottom of her swing where her center at mass is 1.0 m below the bar? ( No given diagram)

2. Relevant equations

[K + Eg + Es] = [K + Eg + Es + Ef]
    Initial Final

K=1/2mv^2
    Eg=mgh
    Es= 1/2 kx^2
    Ef = uNd

3. The attempt at a solution

[K + Eg] = [K]

1/2mv^(2) + mgh = 1/2mv^(2)
    1/2(50 kg)(1.2m/s)^(2) + (50kg)(9.8 Nt/kg)(1.0m) = 1/2(50 kg)(v)^(2)
    520 = 25(v)^(2)
    v=4.56 m/s

is this right? If its not can someone please walk me through what I did wrong. Thank You so much. I'm just getting ready for a test soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2
    Hi farmguy

youre using the right approach but you've left out information and made a calculation error:

if E0=Ef ....Initial total mechanical energy = final tot mech enrgy

then....

remember that if u make final height 0, like u did, u have to make initial height 2m. From reading the problem statement u can conclude that there's 2m difference between her top height and bottom height, right? That has to reflect in your equation as well. Also u made a slight calculation error on the left. Should get 526, not 520.

Tip: In calculating problems like these the values used for the initial and final heights doesnt matter as long as the difference is correct.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook