1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy problem

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two rockets are launched from Earth's surface, one at 17 km/s and the other at 22 km/s. How fast is each moving when it crosses the moon's orbit?

2. Relevant equations
    Kf + Uf= K0 + U0
    0.5mvf^2 -GMm/R = 0.5mv0^2 - GMm/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I attempted to use the equation above, using the earth's mass and the earth's radius, It didn't work, my speeds came out to be exactly 17 and 22 just like from the start. I'm going to say that the radius of the moon and the mass of the moon comes into play here. Can someone help, with perhaps a better equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    Radius in this case the distance from M, and is different on each side of the equation. So it's R_1 and R_2. You could use the center of the earth or the surface of the earth as the origin, as long as you are consistent. the surface is probably easier. So the radius at the start is 0. And the radius at the moon is the distance from the earth to the moon. Ignore the actual moon. it's not important here.

You should be able to handle it from here.

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    how can the radius be 0, the radius in my equation is in the denominator. it would make 1 part of the expression undefined

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    nvm i figured it out, but im going to correct your response. The radius is NOT 0, but instead the raidus of the earth, while on the other side of the equation, it's the radius of the earth + the distance to the moon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook