Conservation of Energy Problem.

In summary, the problem involves a .40 kg ball being thrown at an angle of 33 degrees with a speed of 12m/s. The goal is to find the ball's speed at its highest point and how high it goes using the conservation of energy formula. The answer is found to be 2.21 meters.
Fused
Here's the problem:

A .40 kg ball is thrown with a speed of 12m/s at an angle of 33 degrees. a) what is its speed at its highest point, and b) how high does it go? (Use conservat ionfo energy and ignore air resistance)

I think I'm supposed to use the formula .5mvi^2 + mgy1 = .5mvf^2+mgy2 .

How do I find the speed at the highest point? m=.4, and vi=12 right? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of hints:
What is the vertical velocity at its highest point?
Is the horizontal velocity at all affected during the flight?

At the highest point, vertical velocity is 0, and no, the horizontal velocity isn't affected... so then my final velocity would be zero, and y1 will be zero. This leaves me with 28.8-20 = (.40)(9.8)y2
y2 = 2.21 meters. Can anyone verify my answer?

Last edited:
Looks ok to me.

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems. It also allows us to find more efficient and sustainable ways to use energy.

3. What are some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life include turning off lights and appliances when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling to save fuel, and using renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power.

4. How does conservation of energy apply to the environment?

Conservation of energy is crucial for the environment as it helps reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, which contribute to climate change and pollution. By conserving energy, we can also preserve natural resources and habitats.

5. What are some challenges in implementing conservation of energy?

Some challenges in implementing conservation of energy include changing societal attitudes and behaviors towards energy consumption, lack of access to renewable energy sources in certain areas, and the initial cost of implementing energy-efficient technologies.