Unable to Understand How X2^2 Gets Canceled Out

• Thread starter adams_695
  • Start date
In summary, the equation x2^2=mv1^2 holds for ##v_1## in terms of the other quantities. However, the x is left outside the radical and it doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I can think of is that it is simplified to be more readable.
adams_695
Homework Statement
Unable to solve for solution.
Relevant Equations
Kinematic energy and spring energy
Am unable to understand how in the final answer the X2^2 gets canceled out without being inside the radical. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Any help explaining would be much appreciated as I am stuck.

Also am happy to provide more information if needed.
1F3542BE-362C-461B-A0DC-AFD5FD619DFC.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
2A555E61-7BE8-47EB-B8E2-58154607E046.png

Full visibility

Can you solve the equation$$\frac{1}{2}kx_2^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2$$for ##v_1## in terms of the other quantities? What do you get?

kuruman said:
Can you solve the equation$$\frac{1}{2}kx_2^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2$$for ##v_1## in terms of the other quantities? What do you get?

Yes it’s just x2 to take out the 1/2 after factoring on both sides then divide by M.

I’m more trying to understand why the x is left outside and isn’t inside the radical also. In this one here it’s left outside when usually it’s left inside.

Is there a particular reason?

The only reason I can think of is "simplify as much as you can to enhance readability and ease of calculation". Remember that $$\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$$ so that$$v_1=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}x_2=\omega \ x_2$$ The last result is simpler and more readable. Besides, if you want to find a number for ##v_1## and you put ##x_2^2## under the radical, you will have to square ##x_2## and then take its square root.

kuruman said:
The only reason I can think of is "simplify as much as you can to enhance readability and ease of calculation". Remember that $$\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$$ so that$$v_1=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}x_2=\omega \ x_2$$ The last result is simpler and more readable. Besides, if you want to find a number for ##v_1## and you put ##x_2^2## under the radical, you will have to square ##x_2## and then take its square root.
Note that ##v^2=x^2##, simplifies to ##v=\pm x##. Be careful not to simplify one of the two solutions out of existence.

jbriggs444 said:
Note that ##v^2=x^2##, simplifies to ##v=\pm x##. Be careful not to simplify one of the two solutions out of existence.
When a numerical answer is required, there should be enough information to select the solution that makes physical sense. The figure shows the cart moving to the right before hitting the spring therefore it is safe to conclude that the velocity is positive. That point should have been clarified in the solution.

I am bothered more by the solution's last pronouncement, "Elastic potential energy is always measured from the unstretched or uncompressed length of the spring." It unnecessarily complicates the analysis of the vertical mass-spring system and undermines the idea that the choice of the reference point of potential energy is arbitrary.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How does X2^2 get canceled out?

The exponent rule for multiplication states that when the same base is raised to two different exponents, the exponents can be added together. In this case, X2^2 can be rewritten as X^2 * X^2, and since these two expressions have the same base, the exponents can be added together to get X^4. This is known as the power of a power rule.

2. Why does X2^2 become X^4?

As mentioned before, the power of a power rule states that when the same base is raised to two different exponents, the exponents can be added together. In this case, X2^2 can be rewritten as X^2 * X^2, and since these two expressions have the same base, the exponents can be added together to get X^4.

3. Can X2^2 be simplified further?

No, X2^2 is already in its simplest form. The exponent rule for multiplication only applies when the base is the same, and there are no other exponent rules that can be applied to X2^2.

4. Is there a difference between X2^2 and (X2)^2?

Yes, there is a difference between X2^2 and (X2)^2. In the first expression, the exponent only applies to the X, while in the second expression, the exponent applies to the entire term (X2).

5. How can I solve equations with exponents like X2^2?

To solve equations with exponents, you can use the exponent rules to simplify the expression and then solve for the variable. In the case of X2^2, you would first apply the power of a power rule to get X^4, and then solve for X using algebraic methods.