Conservation of energy (rotation+translation)

In summary, a small solid sphere with a radius of 0.25 cm and mass of 0.68 g rolls without slipping on the inside of a large fixed hemisphere with a radius of 23 cm and a vertical axis of symmetry. Starting from rest at the top, the sphere's kinetic energy at the bottom can be calculated using the energy conservation law, where the potential energy at the top is equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom. The correct answer is 0.152J, but a difference of 1e2 is seen in the solution provided. Additionally, the problem specifies a vertical axis of symmetry for the hemisphere, making it impossible for the ball to roll down with a horizontal axis of symmetry.
mbrmbrg

Homework Statement

A small solid sphere, with radius 0.25 cm and mass 0.68 g rolls without slipping on the inside of a large fixed hemisphere with radius 23 cm and a vertical axis of symmetry. The sphere starts at the top from rest. The moment of inertia of a sphere is I = 2/5 MR2.
(a) What is its kinetic energy at the bottom?
(b) What fraction of its kinetic energy at the bottom is associated with rotation about an axis through its center of mass?

Homework Equations

E=U+K=constant

U=mgh

[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) only:
I started to write up the energy conservation law in great and glorious detail, but then I realized that since K_i=0 and U_f=0, and the question only wants to know K at bottom, I could say
[tex]mgh=K[/tex]
[tex](.00068kg)(9.81m/s^2)(0.23m)=K[/tex]
K=0.00153J

But the correct answer is 0.152J, a rather striking difference. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answer seem correct to me. (Could be a typo in the answer key or the problem statement.)

Thanks! (the night before the final. Who to trust? My professor's answer key or Doc Al? You got it!)

If you really want to nitpick you can say that the height over which the small sphere is travelling, is not 2R but 2(R-r). It won't make much difference given that R >> r.

That actually occurred to me briefly; but to make a difference of 1e2!

vanesch said:
If you really want to nitpick you can say that the height over which the small sphere is travelling, is not 2R but 2(R-r). It won't make much difference given that R >> r.
Since its a hemisphere, the height traveled would be R, not 2R. And using a height of R-r, instead of R, would make the KE even smaller--so that won't help!

Doc Al said:
Since its a hemisphere, the height traveled would be R, not 2R. And using a height of R-r, instead of R, would make the KE even smaller--so that won't help!

There's clearly a problem with the orders of magnitude, but I thought the problem was that the book said something of 152 instead of 153...

And concerning the hemisphere, you don't know how it is oriented :tongue2: :blushing:

vanesch said:
There's clearly a problem with the orders of magnitude, but I thought the problem was that the book said something of 152 instead of 153...
I wouldn't worry about the third significant figure in the answer, considering that the data given only has two significant figures. :wink:

And concerning the hemisphere, you don't know how it is oriented
Lots of luck rolling that ball down the inside of a bowl with a horizontal axis of symmetry! :biggrin: And the problem did state that the axis of symmetry is vertical. :tongue:

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Lots of luck rolling that ball down the inside of a bowl with a horizontal axis of symmetry! :biggrin: And the problem did state that the axis of symmetry is vertical. :tongue:

Damn ! I'm not going to talk me out of this one :blushing:

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to rotation?

Conservation of energy in rotation means that the total energy of a rotating system remains constant, with the sum of kinetic and potential energies remaining the same throughout the motion. This is based on the principle of angular momentum, where the angular momentum of a rotating object remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

3. What is the relationship between conservation of energy and translation?

Conservation of energy in translation means that the total energy of an object in motion remains constant, with the sum of its kinetic and potential energies remaining unchanged. This is based on the principle of linear momentum, where the momentum of an object remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does friction affect the conservation of energy in rotation and translation?

Friction can cause a decrease in mechanical energy in both rotation and translation. In rotation, friction can cause a decrease in angular velocity, leading to a decrease in rotational kinetic energy. In translation, friction can cause a decrease in speed, leading to a decrease in linear kinetic energy. However, the total energy in the system will still remain constant.

5. What happens to the energy in a system where conservation of energy is violated?

If conservation of energy is violated in a system, it means that energy has been added or removed from the system in some way. This could be due to external forces, such as friction or air resistance, or due to internal energy transformations, such as heat or sound. In this case, the total energy of the system will no longer remain constant and energy will be gained or lost. This goes against the fundamental principle of conservation of energy.