Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy with Unknown Radius and Mass

In summary, conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems and make more efficient use of energy resources. The main forms of energy include kinetic, potential, thermal, chemical, and electromagnetic energy. In a closed system, energy is conserved because it cannot enter or leave the system. This means that the total amount of energy within the system remains constant, even though it may be transformed into different forms. Energy can also be converted from one form to another through various processes, while still following the principle of conservation of energy.
hippolyta2078795
A bowling ball ( I = 2/5 M ^R2 ) encounters a 0.8 m vertical rise on the way back to the ball rack. If the ball rolls without slipping with a center of mass translational velocity of 4.0 m/s at the bottom of the rise.

How do I find the rotational kinetic energy of the ball at the top or bottom without knowing the radius? I know how to find the translational speed at the top.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just figured it out. Just need to substitute properly.

I was mistaken. I do not know the mass.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also allows us to make more efficient use of energy resources and reduce waste.

What are the different forms of energy?

The main forms of energy are kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (energy stored in an object's position), thermal energy (energy related to temperature), chemical energy (energy stored in chemical bonds), and electromagnetic energy (energy of light).

How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, energy is conserved because it cannot enter or leave the system. This means that the total amount of energy within the system remains constant, even though it may be transformed into different forms.

Can energy be converted from one form to another?

Yes, energy can be converted from one form to another through various processes such as mechanical work, heat transfer, or chemical reactions. However, the total amount of energy remains constant, in accordance with the principle of conservation of energy.