How to Calculate Speed at Different Points Using Conservation of Energy?

In summary, this is a problem from an Introduction to Physical Science class that involves a block with a mass of 8kg and an initial speed of 7 m/s at Point A. The task is to find the block's speed at Point B and Point C, neglecting frictional forces. The thought process involves considering kinetic energy and the application of work and energy concepts, specifically the potential energy from gravity to add to the initial velocity. The equation to use in this case is not specified.
Peterson
INTRODUCTION:
This is a problem from my Introduction to Physical Science class using "Conceptual Physics" 10th Ed.by Paul G. Hewitt

EXACT PROBLEM:
"The block in the figure at the right has a mass of 8kg and an initial speed of 7 m/s at Point A. Neglect frictional forces."

PROBLEMS FACED:
a) What will be its speed when it reaches Point B?
b) What will be its speed when it reaches Point C?

MY THOUGHTS:
Should I be looking for kinetic energy? What am I doing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the diagram:

physics-1.jpg

Kinetic and Potential energy. Looks like an application of work energy/

I would think that speed is in this case equal to the initial plus any provided by external forces. In this case, the only other force is gravity. So as you suggest use th potential energy from gravity to add to the initial velocity. Whats that eqn?

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, and allows us to use energy resources efficiently.

What are some examples of conservation of energy?

Examples of conservation of energy include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a ball rolling down a hill, and a light bulb converting electrical energy into light and heat.

How does conservation of energy relate to the concept of entropy?

Conservation of energy and the concept of entropy are closely related, as energy transformations always result in an increase in entropy, or disorder, in the universe.

What are some real-world applications of conservation of energy?

Real-world applications of conservation of energy include renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power, energy-efficient buildings and appliances, and the design of more efficient transportation systems.