Solving Conservation of Energy Problems

In summary, Homework Equations state that T.E at the top is 1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h) and at the bottom is 1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h/2). m(9.8)(h) is 1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h/2) and 1/2mv^2 + m(g)(h) is 1/2m[v]^2 + m(g)(h/2). The speeds of the object are different, so v2 needs to be accounted for. 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 = 1/2m[
xRadio

Homework Equations

Total Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy
T.E = 1/2mv^2 + m(g)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

T.E at top
= 1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h)

T.E at bottom
1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h) = 1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h/2)

Please help I have no clue what to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h) = 1/2mv^2 + m(9.8)(h/2)[\quote]
The speeds of the object are different, so may want to denote the second speed as v2

Oh yeah, I had that on my paper, but forgot to type it in.

You look to be on the right track. You just need to solve for v2. Are you having trouble with the algebra? Put "g" back in for the 9.8, to make it clearer.
You can also cancel out m.

Last edited:
1/2mv^2 + m(g)(h) = 1/2m[v]^2 + m(g)(h/2)
v^2 + (g)(h) - (g)(h/2) = [v]^2

Is this right? =/ I really suck at simplifying

The first line is good. You can simply your gh terms. If you ignore the gh for a moment, you will see that it is really 1-1/2, which is 1/2.

You have also dropped the 1/2 from the kinetic energy terms again.

1/2mv^2 + 1/2 = 1/2m[v]^2
v^2 + 1 = [v]^2 *multiply both sides by 2 to eliminate 1/2?
v + 1 = [v]

well the help so far has been on the right track.

you can work this out if you choose, but any increase in energy will come from the additional drop of 1/2y*mg

so 1/2mv'^2=1/2mv^2 +1/2 mgh,
so factoring, gives v'=sqrt(v^2+gh)
may be wrong but don't think you have enough information to solve for h.

Okay, I got to ask, Bambi's carcass??!

xRadio said:
1/2mv^2 + 1/2 = 1/2m[v]^2
v^2 + 1 = [v]^2 *multiply both sides by 2 to eliminate 1/2?
v + 1 = [v]

Oh sorry I should have been clearer...you still need the gh in there. I was just pointing out that gh - (1/2)gh = (1/2)gh. So put a gh in where your 1 is.

Also v must remain as v^2, since you have

v^2 + gh = [v]^2

when you take the square root of both sides, you get

(v^2 + gh)^(1/2) = [v]

You can't take the square root of individual terms like you did. You must take it of the entire left side.

robb_ said:

Robb, I had to laugh as well, I think there is now an industry to make physics problems more entertaining to youth of america. so they dress up the same old dreary problems in ever increasingly bizarre clothes.

robb_ said:

lol I didn't want to know. :yuck:

yess thank you I did it again and got this answer, thank you both so much for all your help.

Last edited:

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it allows us to understand and predict how energy behaves in different systems. It also helps us to develop sustainable energy sources and practices to preserve our natural resources.

What are some examples of conservation of energy in daily life?

Examples of conservation of energy in daily life include turning off lights when leaving a room, using public transportation or biking instead of driving a car, and unplugging electronics when not in use.

How does conservation of energy relate to the environment?

Conservation of energy is closely related to the environment because it helps us to understand the impact of human activities on the environment and develop strategies to minimize energy consumption and reduce our carbon footprint.

What are some common misconceptions about conservation of energy?

One common misconception about conservation of energy is that it only applies to mechanical energy, when in fact it applies to all forms of energy. Another misconception is that energy can be completely eliminated, when in reality it can only be converted to a different form.