1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m = 2.0 kg is dropped from height h = 55 cm onto a spring of spring constant k = 1960 N/m. Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Delta K+ \Delta U_G+ \Delta U_S=0[/tex] \change in kinetic energy+change in gravitational energy+change in spring energy=0
    [tex]\Delta K=0[/tex]
    [tex]U_{Gf}-U_{Gi}+U_{Sf}-U_{Si}=0[/tex]
    [tex]U_{Si}=0[/tex] can be assumed
    so
    [tex]U_{Sf}=U_{Gi}-U_{Gf}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    resumed from above:
    [tex]\frac {kx_f^2}{2}=mgy_i-mgy_f[/tex]
    so: [tex]\frac {kx_f^2}{2}=mgy_i-mgx_f[/tex]
    With this I have tried over and over to solve for [tex]x_f[/tex] but I cannot find any way of getting [tex]x_f[/tex] by itself.
    edit:LaTeX formatting

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2
    conservation of energy, [tex]\Delta[/tex]U(g)+ [tex]\Delta[/tex]U(spring) = 0 <=== look, all the energy lost from one object goes to the other, so the sum is 0. Remember! conservation of energy. Think about it.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U(g)=-[tex]\Delta[/tex]U(spring) <===== moved that equation around a it... just algebra.

mgh2-mgh1 = (1/2)kx^2 <===== look what we have here if we make it look more detailed with what we know.

Or simply mgh=-(1/2)kx^2

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  4. Nov 4, 2007 #3

hage567

Homework Helper

It's a quadratic equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?