How does body mass affect energy loss in objects moving through fluids?

In summary: If the contact surface area(wheel) of both cars are same, then the result would be that the smaller mass object would lose more energy due to the friction and drag forces.
cronusmin
a car(54g)(toy) releases from a high place through a railway to a flat low place. by observation from an experiment, for sure there's some energy lost causing by the friction n drag force. 2nd time i do it, i add some mass(50g) for the car n releases again. i found tat the 2nd car's energy will lose less comparing with 1st car. after i counted the percentage of energy lost, i got tat the 1st car is 60%++ but the 2nd car with bigger mass is 10%++.

By theorectical method, will the energy lost of a bigger mass larger than the small mass object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question... How is the reletive loss of energy to heat depend on body mass?

I think that if concidering loss to heat via velocity dependent friction (~v), two masses of similar proportions (say a sphere) but of deferent masses moving through similar fluid would reasult in a greater loss of reletive kinetic energy to the smaller ball (under a similar displacemet). I conclude this due to a greater ratio of contact area to mass with the a smaller object. So more contact area would result in a higher constant of friction.

Yoni said:
Good question... How is the reletive loss of energy to heat depend on body mass?

I think that if concidering loss to heat via velocity dependent friction (~v), two masses of similar proportions (say a sphere) but of deferent masses moving through similar fluid would reasult in a greater loss of reletive kinetic energy to the smaller ball (under a similar displacemet). I conclude this due to a greater ratio of contact area to mass with the a smaller object. So more contact area would result in a higher constant of friction.

so if the contact surface area(wheel) of both cars are same, what should the result be?

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also allows us to efficiently use energy resources and reduce our impact on the environment.

What are some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life include turning off lights when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling to reduce fuel consumption, and using energy-efficient appliances.

How does conservation of energy relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. The second law of thermodynamics states that energy tends to disperse and become less usable. Both of these laws are based on the principle of conservation of energy.

What are some potential consequences of not conserving energy?

If we do not conserve energy, we may deplete finite energy resources, contribute to climate change and pollution, and increase our dependence on non-renewable energy sources. This can have negative impacts on both the environment and our economy.