Exploring Theories that Violate Conservation of Energy Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a document that questions the validity of the conservation of energy law and attempts to dispute it. The document presents examples and theories that supposedly violate this law, but they are mostly considered to be marketing gimmicks and not factual representations. The document also criticizes relativity and its supposed violation of conservation of energy. However, the overall consensus is that these claims are not valid and do not disprove the law of conservation of energy.
raptor5618
[crackpot link deleted]

I came across this document when I did a Goggle on theories that violate the conservation of energy law. As I read about Einstein he felt it necessary to look at every ting cynically, even universally accepted laws such as those developed by Newton.

Later on I also read that as he was working on a theory one of the requirements was that it did not violate the conservation of energy law. I wondered if there were theories that attempt to reconsider this law.

This paper states that not only are their ideas how this law can be violated but presents some examples of when it is violated. Other than the expanding universe example I have to think the others seem to be more of a marketing gimmick than a factual representation.

So is this document at least partially valid? Are there theories that attempt to dispute the conservation of energy law?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raptor,

You might want to look at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy" page.

The basic idea of Noether's theorem is that all conservation laws arise from some symmetry principle. For the specific example of conservation of energy the symmetry is time translation. So, if your theory consists of a set of laws that are invariant under time translation, then your theory must conserve energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've asked some other mentors to comment specifically on the points made in that link, but I've deleted the link itself. That site is the personal website of a very famous crackpot and it should be obvious from looking at the "paper" that it is mostly just crackpot ramblings, complaining about the "establishment".

edit: I've only actually found one point in it: He claims the "nram effect" violates CoE. I'm not familiar with that, but since it states there that it is a resonance phenomena, my gut tells me this is just another example of a relatively common problem: people don't understand resonance. Resonance is an increasing amplitude of oscillation due to repetitive input force in phase with the oscillation. It does not violate CoE.

He also claims that dark matter is a violation of CoE. It isn't. He's just bellyaching there.

And that's really all he has there. Not much. I'm going to lock this pending input from other mods.

In any case:
So is this document at least partially valid? Are there theories that attempt to dispute the conservation of energy law?
You miss the point of the article. The author is not trying to show that conservation of energy is invalid, he's trying to shoot down relativity because [he says] it violates conservation of energy.

Last edited:
And, by the way, Einstein looked at thing "critically", not "cynically". I doubt that Einstein was ever cynical.

1. What is the conservation of energy law?

The conservation of energy law is a fundamental principle in physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How do theories that violate the conservation of energy law challenge our understanding of physics?

Theories that violate the conservation of energy law challenge our understanding of physics because they propose that energy can be created or destroyed, which goes against the fundamental principle of energy conservation. This would require a complete re-evaluation of our current understanding of the universe and its laws.

3. What are some examples of theories that violate the conservation of energy law?

Some examples of theories that violate the conservation of energy law include perpetual motion machines, which claim to generate energy indefinitely without any external input, and some theories related to quantum mechanics, such as the concept of virtual particles.

4. What evidence supports the conservation of energy law?

The conservation of energy law has been extensively tested and verified through numerous experiments and observations. These include experiments on energy transfer and conversion, as well as observations of natural phenomena such as the movement of celestial bodies and the behavior of particles in collisions.

5. Are there any potential loopholes or exceptions to the conservation of energy law?

While the conservation of energy law is a well-established principle, there are some potential exceptions or loopholes that have been proposed, such as in cases involving extremely high energies or gravitational fields. However, these exceptions are still theoretical and have not been observed or proven.