1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b
    I have 2 question
    2. Relevant equations
    which one gets to point o earlier?we release them,both of them have the same conditions. the distance and mass every thing are the same.
    I have attached the figures

3. The attempt at a solution I think in the first one because of the rotational motion that ball has ,the energy of it is divided, so ball get later,
    Second one: In one figure on the way there is a hole and another one there isn't, I don't have any idea that which one get faster!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Are the ramps frictionless?

What equations do you know?

CS

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    no,
    Ei=0 Ef=1/2 Iω^2+mgLcosα
    if α is the angle , L is distance

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Did they tell you anything about the friction in the problem statement?

CS

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5
    No but I think because of frictional force the ball is rolling, if the plane is frictionless both of them get the same time

7. Nov 12, 2009 #6
    if we have friction we have rotational and translational motin. so for the ball
    Ei=0 Ef=1/2 Iω^2+mgLcosα+1/2 mv^2 where I=2/5MR^2

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  8. Nov 12, 2009 #7
    Am I right?

9. Nov 12, 2009 #8

stewartcs

Science Advisor

You must know something about the frictional force between the objects and the ramp. Otherwise you can't determine the answer. For example, if the frictional force between the block and the ramp is high enough, the block will not even move. However, the cylinder will still roll down the ramp.

Also, if the ramp is frictionless and the cylinder has a pure rolling motion without slipping, the cylinder will reach the bottom last since it's Kinetic Energy has two components (1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 Iw^2 whereas the block only has 1/2 mv^2).

If the cylinder slips and doesn't roll, then they both will reach the bottom at the same time. Hence, it depends on what assumptions you make.

So you need more information. Did you post the entire problem statement?

CS

10. Nov 12, 2009 #9
    No, it didnt mention
    for second figure could you help me?
    (the figure: on the way there is a hole and another one there isn't)

11. Nov 12, 2009 #10

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I don't understand your second drawing. If the two cylinders are at rest on a horizontal plane and no force acts on them, neither will move horizontally.

CS

12. Nov 12, 2009 #11
    Sorry its my fault,
    We just hit the ball in the same way

13. Nov 12, 2009 #12

stewartcs

Science Advisor

What do you mean by "hole"?

CS

14. Nov 12, 2009 #13
    My English is poor,
    In the question just drew as I have shown, and I think the shape of it isn't important.
    Maybe I must pay attention to normal force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook