1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy ?

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    Conservation of energy ???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was trying to solve this question
    " A mass M , attached to a horizontal spring , executes SHM with Amplitude A1 , when the mass M passes through its mean position then a smaller mass m is placed over it and both of them move together with Amplitude A2 , ratio of A1/A2 "
    when i apply conservation of Momentum i get
    (M/(m+M))^(1/2)
    and if i apply conservation of energy
    i get (M/(m+M)

Can somebody help me figure out what is going wrong ?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Conservation of energy ???

When you place the small mass on the big one while it is in motion, the small mass has to accelerate up, the bigger mass has to decelerate to the common speed. For that, some force of interaction is needed, and that force does work. Because of the work done by something else than the spring, the sum of the elastic energy and kinetic energy is not conserved.
    The situation is similar to inelastic collision. If the small mass were put in front of the big one it would be exactly an inelastic collision. The momentum conserves but the energy does not.

ehild

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3

thank you ehild :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook