1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    Suppose that I hold a Yo-Yo and then I leave it to fall [and of course rotate] holding only the string.
    I seems to me that the energy [not the whole of the potential energy will be converted to [itex](1/2)mv^2+(1/2)I\omega^2[/itex]] is not conserved, because of the force the string applies on the Yo-Yo.
    Is my intuition is right?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I would say no. Just because the string exerts a force on the yo-yo does not mean that work is being done. Consider the speed of the end of the string as it unravels.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    Regarding what you said about the work:
    The yo-yo goes down so the string force does negative work. So the force does not "spend" energy, right?

Regarding speed of the string:
    The string has no speed after it unravels, but I don't understand how is this related to work. As work is only [itex] F\centerdot \Delta x [/itex]

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Work is better thought of as [itex] F\centerdot \Delta x [/itex], where [itex] \Delta x [/itex] is the displacement of the point of application of that force. But the point of application is not moving.

You can certainly calculate [itex] F_{net}\centerdot \Delta x_{cm} [/itex], but that's not the same thing as the work done by the forces.

6. Sep 8, 2012 #5
    Great explanation [cleared a lot of confusion for me], thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook