Is Conservation of Energy Demonstrated in Particle Motion from A to P?

In summary, the particle is projected vertically downwards from the ceiling with speed √(3gl/2) and comes to instantaneous rest after moving a distance of 10l/3.
Dumbledore211

Homework Statement

A particle P of mass m is attached to one end of a light string of natural length l whose other end is attached to a point A on a ceiling. When P hangs in equilibrium AP has length 5l/3. Show that if P is projected vertically downwards from A with speed √(3gl/2). P will come to instantaneous rest after moving a distance of 10l/3

Homework Equations

E.P.E= λx^2/2l, v^2=u^2+2gh, P.E= mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, I have been asked to show that the total distance traveled by the particle is 10l/3 which we know is true if we think logically about it because when I take the particle up at A it travels 5l/3 and when it comes back to it's equilibrium position it again traverses 5l/3. When we lift the particle the work done in this case is P.E=mgh and when we project the particle vertically downwards then the work converts P.E into K.E and E.P.E where the equation of velocity is v^2=u^2-2gh → 0=u^2-2gh→ u^2=2gh. Should the total equation for the conservation of energy look like this that describes both the particle's action of going up and coming down
P.E= E.P.E + K.E

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand you explanation. The particle is not "taken up at A" and it does not travel 5l/3. The problem says that the entire length of the spring is 5l/3 in equilibrium, which a different statement.

Anyway, all you need here is to compute the total mechanical energy initially and the total mechanical energy at max elongation.

Shouldn't the equation of conservation of mechanical energy look like this P.E= E.P.E + K.E
mgh=λx^2/2l + mv^2/2

When I equate the whole thing like mgh=λx^2/2l + mv^2/2 taking velocity=√(3gl/2) I don't get h= 10l/3 why??

I am not sure what λx^2/2l means. Is it (λx^2)/(2l) or is it (λx^2/2)l? And what is λ anyway? This does not look like stiffness in Hooke's law.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of energy in various systems. It also helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in different processes, such as in the environment and in technology.

3. How is the conservation of energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is a specific application of the law of conservation of energy to thermodynamic systems. It states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant, and can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

4. Can energy disappear or vanish completely?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot disappear or vanish completely. It can only be transformed into another form of energy, such as heat or light.

5. Is the conservation of energy a universal law?

Yes, the conservation of energy is considered a universal law in physics. This means that it applies to all forms of energy and all physical systems, from the smallest particles to the entire universe.