1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    image.jpg

I'm working on the second part of this question and I want to find the initial speed before P strikes the barrier.
    So I used principle of conservation of energy,
    K.E at Equilibrium position + elastic p.e. at Equilibrium positon = K.E just before it strikes the barrier + G.P.E at the barrier

But according to the solutions,
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Why Is the e.p.e when extension is (a+l/20) included? I thought the string is cut, so there shouldn't be any tension anymore

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the mass is hanging on the string, then there will be tension in the equilibrium position. The tension in the string must balance the gravitational force on the mass.

4. Mar 22, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The KE when descending through the equilibrium position will be the same as when ascending through it.
    It starts with no KE, but elastic PE corresponding to an extension of a+l/20, a being the equilibrium extension. In rising to the equilibrium position, it gains mgl/20 in GPE, but its extension decreases to a. Thus the gain in KE is EPE(a+l/20)-EPE(a)-GPE(l/20).

5. Mar 22, 2016 #4
    Ok thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted