Calculating Work and Speed of a Crate Pulled Across a Floor

In summary, a 70-kg crate is pulled across a floor with a constant horizontal force of 200 N. The final speed is 7.4 m/s.
Chanster

Homework Statement

A 70-kg, starting from rest, is pulled across a floor with a constant horizontal force of 200 N. For the first 10 m the floor is frictionless, and for the next 10 m the coefficient of friction is 0.30. What is the final speed of the crate?

Homework Equations

W= -Delta PE
Wnc= DELTA PE+DELTA KE
F=ma
Ff=MuFn
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried is to calculate the total work. So I calculate the work being done frictionless.
W=FD
W=200(10)
W=2000
Now I had to calculate work on friction
W=FD
W=(686)(.30)(10)
W=2058
This is how far I have gotten.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so total work =?

I don't know if I am doing it right or not

Yes, you're doing it right so far.

total work=-58?

Check your signs on the two values of work you calculated, otherwise you're off to a good start. Actually, the work you calculated for the applied force is wrong. Over what distance did the 200-N force act?

Both the applied force and friction are non-conservative forces, so the work they do contribute to the lefthand side of the equation

[tex]W_{nc} = \Delta{PE}+\Delta{KE}[/tex]

Now you just have to figure out the righthand side of the equation.

I don't understand how to calculate work at all. What kind of PE is calculated in this problem or how to calculate it

Oh, okay. First, determine what forces are acting on the block, and then identify which of those are conservative. Each conservative force will have a corresponding PE (though the change could very well be zero). At this point, you probably only know of two conservative forces: gravity and springs. The potential energy function for gravity is [tex]U=mgh[/tex], and for springs, it's [tex]U=1/2 kx^2[/tex].

vela said:
Oh, okay. First, determine what forces are acting on the block, and then identify which of those are conservative. Each conservative force will have a corresponding PE (though the change could very well be zero). At this point, you probably only know of two conservative forces: gravity and springs. The potential energy function for gravity is [tex]U=mgh[/tex], and for springs, it's [tex]U=1/2 kx^2[/tex].

Can the PE for this equation be U=MGD or is it zero since there is no height?

Both! You can be pedantic and include the gravitational potential energy terms. When you plug everything in, you will find they cancel. Or you can just neglect them right from the start since you know the change in gravitational PE will be zero because the block didn't move up or down.

vela said:
Both! You can be pedantic and include the gravitational potential energy terms. When you plug everything in, you will find they cancel. Or you can just neglect them right from the start since you know the change in gravitational PE will be zero because the block didn't move up or down.

Oh ok, i got 7.4 for final velocity

So I did what you told me and calculate the the force applied again i got 4k. I subtract that from 2058. I got 1942, with that I just set it equal to 1/2mv^2 and i solve for v and got 7.4?

Sounds good. Don't forget the units!

What is conservation of forces?

The principle of conservation of forces, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

Why is conservation of forces important?

Conservation of forces is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that governs the behavior and interactions of all physical systems. It allows us to predict and understand the behavior of energy in various systems, from subatomic particles to the entire universe.

How does conservation of forces apply to real-life situations?

Conservation of forces applies to many real-life situations, such as the motion of objects, the flow of electricity, and the transfer of heat. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, environmental science, and astrophysics.

What are the implications of violating conservation of forces?

If conservation of forces is violated, it would mean that energy is being created or destroyed, which goes against the fundamental laws of physics. This could lead to unpredictable and potentially dangerous consequences in various systems.

How can we observe and measure conservation of forces?

Conservation of forces can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations, such as tracking the motion of objects, measuring changes in temperature, and calculating the amount of energy in a system before and after a transformation. These measurements can then be compared to the principle of conservation of forces to confirm its validity.