Conservation of Four-Momentum in Inertial Frames

In summary, the zero component theorem states that if q is a four vector and one component of q is found to be zero in all inertial frames, then all four components of q are zero in all frames. This theorem is used to prove that if the time rate of change of the three momentum is zero, then the fourth component of the total four-momentum must also have a time rate of change of zero.
brainpushups

Homework Statement

a) Suppose that the total three-momentum of an isolated system is conserved in all inertial frames. Show that if this is true (which it is), then the fourth component of the total four-momentum has to be conserved as well. b) Using the zero-component theorem you can prove the following stronger result very quickly: If anyone component of the total four-momentum is conserved in all frames, then all four components are conserved.

Homework Equations

Zero component theorem: If q is a four vector and one component of q is found to be zero in all inertial frames then all four components of q are zero in all frames.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The total three momentum is [itex]P=\gamma_{1}m_{1}v_{1}+\gamma_{2}m_{2}v_{2}+...[/itex]

The fourth component of the total four-momentum is

[itex]P_{4}=c(\gamma_{1}m_{1}+\gamma_{2}m_{2}+...)[/itex]

My idea was to show that if the time rate of change of the three momentum is zero that this must somehow guarantee that the quantity in parentheses for the fourth component also has a time rate of change of zero.

The time rate of change of the total three momentum is (notice the dots above gamma and v they are hard to make out).

[itex]P^{.}=\gamma^{.}_{1}m_{1}v_{1}+gamma_{1}m_{1}v^{.}_{1}+\gamma^{.}_{2}m_{2}v_{2}+gamma_{2}m_{2}v^{.}_{2}+...=0[/itex]

The time rate of change of the fourth component is

[itex]P^{.}_{4}=c(\gamma^{.}_{1}m_{1}+\gamma^{.}_{2}m_{2}+...)[/itex]

I'm not seeing anything that allows me to proceed from this point.
As an alternative I thought I could use the invariant scalar product in some way, but it wasn't clear how this possible alternative approach would work out either.

b)
I guess I’m not really sure where to start with part b) except to show that the time rate of change of at least one of the components of the total four-momentum is zero in all frames. I’m not sure if the author is implying that this is given information because of the phrasing of the question. If we assume [itex]P^{.}[/itex] to be zero then this seems very trivial because simply stating the zero component theorem is about enough to prove it!

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of a 4-vector with respect to proper time (a scalar) is also a 4-vector

I understand that, but I'm not clear on how that helps me.

If one component of a 4-vector is conserved, its derivative with respect to proper time is zero. By the zero component theorem, all the other components of the derivative must vanish as well which means the other components of the 4-vector are also conserved.

Ok that makes sense for part b. I thought you were referring to part a. Any thoughts about part a and how to show this without invoking this theorem? Thanks for your thoughts.

What is conservation of four momentum?

The conservation of four momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total four momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the mass, energy, and momentum of all particles within the system must remain constant, even if they are exchanged or transformed.

Why is conservation of four momentum important?

The conservation of four momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs the behavior of particles and systems at the fundamental level. It allows us to make accurate predictions about the interactions and transformations of particles, and it is essential for understanding the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

How is conservation of four momentum related to other conservation laws?

The conservation of four momentum is closely related to the conservation of energy and the conservation of momentum. In fact, conservation of four momentum implies conservation of energy and momentum, as well as conservation of mass in systems where the speed of light is negligible. These conservation laws are all interconnected and essential for understanding the behavior of particles and systems.

Can conservation of four momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of four momentum is a fundamental law of nature that has been extensively tested and has always held true. It is a universal principle that applies to all particles and systems, and there is no known violation of it. However, in extreme conditions such as near the speed of light or in the presence of very strong gravitational fields, the equations may need to be modified to account for relativistic effects.

How is conservation of four momentum applied in practical situations?

The conservation of four momentum is applied in a variety of practical situations, such as in particle accelerators, nuclear reactions, and astrophysics. It is also used in the design and development of technologies such as spacecraft and medical imaging devices. Additionally, the principles of conservation of four momentum are used in theoretical physics to develop models and theories about the behavior of particles and systems at the subatomic level.