1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of impulse

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two space shuttles owned by two different countries go to space. Their engines are closed, and are moving from impulse towards Mars. The shuttles are separated by big springs. The first shuttle, has a mass of 1,5 x 10^4 kg and a velocity of 3,5x10^3km/h at 5,1degrees in relation to its original direction. The second shuttle, has a mass of 1,7x10^4 kg, and a velocity of 3,4 x 10^3 km/h at 5,9egrees in relation to its original direction. Determine the initial speed of both shuttles at the moment when they we're linked one another.
    2. Relevant equations
    I'm honestly completely lost at this part. I haven't been able to find anything and I'm doing courses at home and the lesson doesn't explain this part well.

3. The attempt at a solution

Still notthing. I'm not looking for answers, but someone to start me off so I can answer other questions like these, this is the first of many.

PS; Sorry if the english isn't great, I tried translating it the best I could.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2
    The equations for impulse and momentum are what you want to use. Conservation of Momentum is probably what you meant to say.

Using conservation of momentum, you are given information that is pretty crucial, because you are told that the two shuttles are initially linked together. This means that their initial velocities are both equal. The equation for impulse and momentum is a vector equation, so you can set it up like that. You have an initial condition, plus some added impulse, equal to a final condition, which is given in the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted