What is the initial momentum of the sled-person system?

In summary: I was trying to round 2.882 to 2.89 must've been a typoLoL I must've been drunken sorry I was trying to round 2.882 to 2.89 must've been a typoIn summary, a 75.0 kg person running at 3.00 m/s jumps onto a 10.0 kg sled moving at 2.00 m/s in the same direction. The initial momentum of the sled-person system is +245 kg(m/s). The final momentum of the sled and person is also +245 kg(m/s) since momentum is conserved. The final velocity of the sled and person is 2.882 m/s.
Glenboro
1. Homework Statement
A 75.0 kg person runs at 3.00 m/s and jumps onto a sled of mass 10.0 kg already moving in the same direction as the person at 2.00 m/s.

a) What is the initial momentum of the sled-person system?
b) What will the final momentum of the sled and the person be?
c) What is the velocity of the sled and the person after the person jumps on the sled?2. Homework Equations
P = mv
Pi = Pf (when momentum is conserved)
m1vi + m2vi = m1vf + m2vf3. The Attempt at a Solution
a)P = mv
p = (75.0kg)(3.00m/s) + (10.0kg)(2.00m/s)
p = +245 kg(m/s)

The questions a) is little tricky, I am not sure if I should get momentum of being one unit (e.g 75.0 kg + 10.0kg)(3.00m/s+2.00m/s) or what I did originally

b) Pi = Pf (when momentum is conserved)
Therefore pf = 245 kg(m/s)

C) m1vi + m2vi = m1vf + m2vf
245 kg(m/s) = (75kg +10kg)(v2f)
V2f = 2.89 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
a small error on c

Glenboro said:
not sure if I should get momentum of being one unit (e.g 75.0 kg + 10.0kg)(3.00m/s+2.00m/s)
No, that would be quite wrong. Nothing here is moving at 5m/s.
skarner said:
a small error on c
How small? I get 2.882...

haruspex said:
No, that would be quite wrong. Nothing here is moving at 5m/s.

How small? I get 2.882...
Thank you, I was going to do as one unit, but I thought something was wrong, so I did the separately.
Do you think all my answers are correct though?

Glenboro said:
Thank you, I was going to do as one unit, but I thought something was wrong, so I did the separately.
Do you think all my answers are correct though?
Apart from the tiny numerical error in c, yes.

haruspex said:
Apart from the tiny numerical error in c, yes.
Hm.. I don't recognize any error, I just rounded to 2.89 m/s from 2.882 m/s which you just wrote.

Glenboro said:
Hm.. I don't recognize any error, I just rounded to 2.89 m/s from 2.882 m/s which you just wrote.
2.88 is nearer to 2.882 than 2.89 is. Unless you specifically need to round up, round to nearest.

haruspex said:
2.88 is nearer to 2.882 than 2.89 is. Unless you specifically need to round up, round to nearest.
LoL I must've been drunken sorry

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity.

2. What is the initial momentum of the sled-person system?

The initial momentum of the sled-person system is the total momentum of both the sled and the person before any external forces act on the system.

3. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. The formula for momentum is P = m * v, where P is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. What factors affect the initial momentum of the sled-person system?

The initial momentum of the sled-person system is affected by the mass and velocity of both the sled and the person. The angle of the sled's motion and any external forces also play a role in determining the initial momentum.

5. Why is it important to consider the initial momentum of the sled-person system?

The initial momentum of the sled-person system is important because it determines the overall motion and behavior of the system. It can help predict how the system will react to external forces and calculate the final momentum after any collisions or interactions.