Conservation of Mass: Is It True?

In summary, the rest mass of a system is not simply the sum of the rest masses of its components. It is calculated using the total energy and momentum of the system, and in some cases may be greater than the sum of its components' masses. This is due to the geometry of Minkowski space and the definition of mass as the invariant length of an energy-momentum four-vector.
curiousphoton
Simple question:

Rest Frame: In their respective rest frames, the following objects have the following rest masses: Object A Mass = 1 kg ; Object B Mass = 1 kg. Total Rest Mass of system: 2 kg.

A & B accelerate and reach some constant Velocity. At this velocity, their relative masses are determined to be 1.5 kg each. They head straight at each other and collide. Their collision is perfectly inelestic.

Let's call the resulting object, Object C. It is my understanding that the rest mass of this object is 3 kg. Total rest mass of system = 3 kg.

So rest mass of A & B separate = 2 kg. Rest mass of A+B = 3 kg. Is this correct?

A simple Duh, Yes of Course will suffice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is correct because you added 1 kg of kinetic energy.

P.S. It is not a conservation of mass but conversation of mass.

curiousphoton said:
Simple question:

Rest Frame: In their respective rest frames, the following objects have the following rest masses: Object A Mass = 1 kg ; Object B Mass = 1 kg. Total Rest Mass of system: 2 kg.

A & B accelerate and reach some constant Velocity.

How do they accelerate? Do you put energy from outside into the system?

curiousphoton said:
At this velocity, their relative masses

You mean the relativistic mass?

curiousphoton said:
are determined to be 1.5 kg each. They head straight at each other and collide. Their collision is perfectly inelestic.

So the energy you put in for acceleration is converted to thermic energy.

curiousphoton said:
Let's call the resulting object, Object C. It is my understanding that the rest mass of this object is 3 kg.

Total rest mass of system = 3 kg.

So rest mass of A & B separate = 2 kg. Rest mass of A+B = 3 kg. Is this correct?

Rest mass of A+B+thermic energy = 3 kg

curiousphoton said:
Simple question:

Said in this way, it's already wrong, because the objects can move with respect the system's centre of mass. If that is the case, Total Rest Mass of system > 2 kg.

A & B accelerate and reach some constant Velocity. At this velocity, their relative masses are determined to be 1.5 kg each.
Better if you don't speak of relativistic mass, but of total energy.

They head straight at each other and collide. Their collision is perfectly inelestic.

Let's call the resulting object, Object C. It is my understanding that the rest mass of this object is 3 kg. Total rest mass of system = 3 kg.

Yes, *if* the system doesn't radiate away some energy because of the collision, in other terms, it's correct if you measure the system's rest mass before it radiates away any form of energy.

Last edited:
lightarrow said:
Said in this way, it's already wrong, because the objects can move with respect the system's centre of mass. If that is the case, Total Rest Mass of system > 2 kg.

Since we are looking at the objects at rest in this 'rest frame', and each object has a rest mass of 1 kg, why would the system's mass be greater than 2 kg?

curiousphoton said:
Simple question:

A simple Duh, Yes of Course will suffice.

It sounds to me like you've got the idea basically right, though your wording is rather awkward in a few spots.

Since rest masses don't add, people don't generally talk about "total rest mass", for instance. And "relative mass" doesn't make much sense, I assume this is a typo for "relativistic mass".

Let me write what I think you're trying to say in a totally different manner. If this isn't equivalent, but more detailed, than what you meant to write, then it's possible that there is still some communication problem ...

In computing the mass (i.e the rest mass, or invariant mass) of a system of many particles, we do not simply add together the masses of the component parts. Rather, we go to the definition of mass, which is m = sqrt(E^2/c^2 - p^2/c^4), where E is the total energy of the system, and p is its momentum. Thus one way of computing the mass of a system is to compute its total energy E in a frame in which the total momentum is zero - and then divide by c^2.

It is important that said multi-particle system be a "closed system" if we wish the mass that we compute in this manner to be independent of the observer.

curiousphoton said:
Since we are looking at the objects at rest in this 'rest frame', and each object has a rest mass of 1 kg, why would the system's mass be greater than 2 kg?
This is simply due to basic Minkowski geometry, the Euclidean analog is the triangle inequality.

Euclid: the length of the sum of two vectors is less than or equal to the sum of the lengths of the two vectors.

Minkowski: the mass (the invariant length of an energy-momentum four-vector) of the sum of two particles is greater than or equal to the sum of the masses of the two particles.

Each statement is a basic geometric fact that follows directly from the respective definitions of length.

DaleSpam said:
This is simply due to basic Minkowski geometry, the Euclidean analog is the triangle inequality.

Euclid: the length of the sum of two vectors is less than or equal to the sum of the lengths of the two vectors.

Minkowski: the mass (the invariant length of an energy-momentum four-vector) of the sum of two particles is greater than or equal to the sum of the masses of the two particles.

Each statement is a basic geometric fact that follows directly from the respective definitions of length.

Yes, I get that. Notice you said for Minowski: greater than OR equal to.

In this case, why would it not be EQUAL TO the mass of Object A and Object B. They are at rest in their rest frame.

curiousphoton said:
Yes, I get that. Notice you said for Minowski: greater than OR equal to.

In this case, why would it not be EQUAL TO the mass of Object A and Object B. They are at rest in their rest frame.
There is no inertial reference frame where both object A and B are at rest.

In Euclidean geometry the length of the sum of two vectors is less than or equal to the sum of the lengths of the two vectors, with equality only in the special case that the vectors are parallel.

In Minkowski geometry the "length" of the sum of two four-vectors is greater than or equal to the sum of the "lengths" of the two four-vectors, with equality only in the special case that the four-vectors are parallel. This special case implies that the objects are at rest wrt each other, i.e. that there exists some intertial frame where they are both at rest.

DaleSpam said:
There is no inertial reference frame where both object A and B are at rest.

I'm sitting at my desk with Object A (Pen) and Object B (Pen #2) in front of me. My two pens and are at rest. Since you are saying there is no RF where both A & B are at rest, which one is moving, A or B?

curiousphoton said:
I'm sitting at my desk with Object A (Pen) and Object B (Pen #2) in front of me. My two pens and are at rest. Since you are saying there is no RF where both A & B are at rest, which one is moving, A or B?
Huh? This conflicts with your previous description:
curiousphoton said:
A & B accelerate and reach some constant Velocity. At this velocity, their relative masses are determined to be 1.5 kg each. They head straight at each other and collide.
For the original description there is no reference frame where they are both at rest.

As I said in my previous post in the special case that the objects are at rest wrt each other then their energy-momentum four-vectors are parallel and the mass of the sum is equal to the sum of the masses. That special case obviously applies to your altered description.

1. What is the law of conservation of mass?

The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change forms. This means that the total mass of a closed system will remain constant over time, regardless of any physical or chemical changes that may occur.

2. Is the law of conservation of mass true?

Yes, the law of conservation of mass has been proven to be true through numerous experiments and observations. It is a fundamental principle in chemistry and physics and has been supported by many scientific theories and laws.

3. What evidence supports the law of conservation of mass?

One of the main pieces of evidence is the fact that no one has ever been able to create or destroy matter. In any chemical or physical reaction, the total mass of the reactants is always equal to the total mass of the products. Also, the law has been tested and confirmed in various experiments and is a crucial component of many scientific theories.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of mass?

There are some rare exceptions to the law of conservation of mass, but they only occur under extreme conditions. For example, in nuclear reactions, a small amount of mass can be converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc². However, this is only applicable to nuclear reactions and does not change the fact that mass is conserved in all other chemical and physical processes.

5. How does the law of conservation of mass relate to environmental conservation?

The law of conservation of mass is closely related to environmental conservation because it emphasizes the importance of preserving and protecting our natural resources. By understanding that matter cannot be created or destroyed, we can make more informed decisions about how we use and manage our resources to minimize waste and promote sustainability.