Conservation of mechanical energy ?

In summary, conservation of mechanical energy is used to determine the maximum height a stone will reach when thrown upwards with an initial velocity of 20m/s. This is done by setting the initial kinetic energy equal to the final gravitational potential energy and using the fact that the total energy at any point must equal the initial energy. This approach eliminates the need for complicated equations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the problem.
birch137
conservation of mechanical energy ?

i found this tricky since i would usually use something like v^2=u^2+2as but i don't have enough variables this time so I don’t even know which direction to go

a stone is thrown upwards with u=20m/s. use conservation of mechanical energy to find out how huigh it will go?

Oh I was told in a similar question earlier to take g as -10m/s^2 I am not sure if I need this for this question

Thanks very much to anyone who take the time to help me

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to(and are told NOT to, and to instead use conservation of energy) use those equations, however you still could as you were given initial velocity, and you know acceleration is g, like always, you would probably have to make a system of equations

However what you're sposed to do is say "oh I know its initial kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2, and I know at its highest point it will have no KE and nothing but gravitational potential energy, and I know that its total energy at any given point will need to equal its initial energy"

thank you

i can see how stupid I've been, i should have a problem now

What is conservation of mechanical energy?

Conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

What are the different forms of mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy can exist in two forms: potential energy and kinetic energy. Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is mechanical energy conserved?

In a closed system, mechanical energy is conserved because any energy lost by one object is gained by another object in the system. For example, when a pendulum swings back and forth, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and back again, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

What are some examples of mechanical energy conservation?

There are many examples of mechanical energy conservation in everyday life. A few common examples are a swinging pendulum, a roller coaster, a bouncing ball, and a swinging playground swing.

Why is conservation of mechanical energy important?

Conservation of mechanical energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that helps us understand and predict how objects behave in the physical world. It also allows us to design and build machines and devices that efficiently use and transfer energy.