Conservation of mechanical energy of pendulum

In summary, the author is trying to identify a force that affects the conservation of mechanical energy and does not have an answer. They ask for input on why tension affects or does not affect the conservation of mechanical energy.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

Consider a pendulum bob swinging. The bob follows a circular path which indicates that gravity is not the only force acting upon it.

Identify the additional force; does it affect the equation K + U = 1/2 mv2 + mgh? why or why not?

The Attempt at a Solution

First i cannot figure out if the additional first it is talking about is the force of tension, or the force of friction on the bob by the air.

I want to say its tension but i can't figure out what to say about how tension would affect the equation or not.

If i say it is the friction force due to the air then i can say it doesn't affect the equation for a very long time because it would take the pendulum bob many oscillations before the force of friciton due to the air finally stopped the pendulum.

Any input on this would be very helpful.
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This question is a bit weird. There are two forces on each simple pendulum: gravity and tension. If it moves in a vertical plane, or follows some other trajectory on the surface of a sphere of radius equal to its length, depends on the initial velocity and position vectors.

The pendulum can move along a horizontal circle if the resultant force is equal to the centripetal force needed for that orbit.

ehild

I think it was referring to the pendulum moving vertically.

So tension sounds like it is the other force the question is looking for.

Can you give any insight as to why tension affects or doesn't affect the conservation of mechanical energy?

Thanks for the help :)

mybrohshi5 said:
I think it was referring to the pendulum moving vertically.

So tension sounds like it is the other force the question is looking for.

Can you give any insight as to why tension affects or doesn't affect the conservation of mechanical energy?

Thanks for the help :)

The short answer is that it doesn't, as the tension force provides no additional kind of potential energy, U.

As for the longer answer, I may have rambled a bit, but here's my shot at it:

Well, forces like tension and the normal force are reaction forces. That means that they only act when there's something acting against them. If you let the object go, and don't let any other force act on it, nothing will happen. It will not gain any kinetic energy.

And that's what potential energy is all about. Potential energy measures how much work a conservative force (Such as a gravitational pull or electrical repulsion/attraction or a stretched/compressed spring) can do.

A tension or normal force cannot perform work on its own. It can only redirect the way energy goes. Whatever kinetic energy the pendulum bob gains comes at the expense of its gravitational potential energy, and not its "tension potential energy." And that's despite the fact that the tension force is the one making it oscillate horizontally.

Thank you RoyalCat. That was a great explanation :)

I appreciate it.

1. What is conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy refers to the principle that in a closed system, the total amount of mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of mechanical energy apply to a pendulum?

In a pendulum, the mechanical energy is constantly changing between kinetic energy (when the pendulum is in motion) and potential energy (when the pendulum is at the highest point of its swing). However, the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on the pendulum.

3. What factors affect the conservation of mechanical energy in a pendulum?

The conservation of mechanical energy in a pendulum is affected by the mass of the pendulum bob, the length of the pendulum, and the amplitude of the pendulum swing. These factors determine the amount of kinetic and potential energy present in the pendulum at any given time.

4. How does friction play a role in the conservation of mechanical energy in a pendulum?

Friction can cause a loss of mechanical energy in a pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, friction from the air and the pivot point can slow down the pendulum's motion and convert some of its mechanical energy into heat energy. This results in a slight decrease in the total mechanical energy of the pendulum over time.

5. Why is the conservation of mechanical energy important in understanding pendulums?

Understanding the conservation of mechanical energy is important in studying pendulums because it helps explain the consistent motion of the pendulum. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a pendulum and understand how external forces, such as friction, can affect its motion. This principle is also applicable to other systems and is a fundamental concept in physics.