1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of mechanical energy

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    A 60kg bungee jumper jumps from a bridge. He is tied to a 12m-long bungee cord and falls a total of 31m
    a) calculate the spring constant of the bungee cord
    b) calculate the maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper

okay I'm stuck on b) I got a0 calculated without any problems at all, it will be 101N/m the problem with b) is that I initially thought.... how would it be possible to have an acceleration of more then 9.8m/s^2 while falling.... it isn't! but I never took into consideration the acceleration while going back up and now whatever I do I alwasy come back to the 9.8m/s^2 answer, I need someon to point me in the right direction so I can get off of this damn idea of 9.8m/s^2
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

When the cord is stretched maximally, you will experience maximal upwards acceleration.
    The upwards acceleration is found by subtracting mg (downwards force) from the "spring force" at maximal stretch; and then divide by "m", the mass of the jumper.
    Compare then that value of maximal upwards acceleration with 9.8 (maximal downwards acceleration)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?