Conservation of Momentum (1-D)

In summary, two football players with different masses and velocities collide, with one player hanging onto the other during the collision. Using the conservation of momentum equation, their final velocity can be calculated to be 1.76744186 m/s [N]. To find the net force acting on each player, the change in momentum equation is used, with the correct formula being final momentum minus initial momentum. The book makes two errors in their calculation, using the wrong formula and neglecting the signs of the velocities. Therefore, the correct answer for the net force is 3581.395 Newtons for player 1 and -3581.395 Newtons for player 2.
quicksilver123

Homework Statement

Football player 1 with a mass of 110kg is moving at 8.0m/s when he crashed into football player 2 with a mass of 105kg, moving at 12m/s [N]. During the tackle, football player 1 hangs onto football player 2, giving them the same velocity during the 0.3 second collision.

A) What is their velocity after the collision?
B) What is the net force (affecting each player) during the collision?

Homework Equations

p = momentum
v' = velocity after collision

p=mv
Δp=mv2-mv1

Net Force = Δp / Δt

Conservation of momentum:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m(v')

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 110kg
v1 = -8m/s

m2 = 105kg
v2 = 12m/s

Let [N] be positive.

A)

m1v1 + m2v2 = m(v')
110kg(-8m/s) + 105kg(12m/s) = (110kg+105kg)v'
-880kg(m/s) + 1260kg(m/s) = 215kg v'
380kg(m/s) / 215kg = v'
v' = 1.76744186 m/s [N]

I've verified this answer with the course's book. I'm including it because the answer for part B depends on the answer from part A.

B)

Net Force = Δp / Δt
Net Force = (m1v' - m1v1) / (0.3 seconds)
Net Force = [(110kg(1.76744186m/s)) - (110kg)(-8m/s))] / (0.3 seconds)
Net Force = [ 194.4186046kg(m/s) + 880kg(m/s) ] / (0.3 seconds)
Net Force = (1074.4418605kg(m/s)) / (0.3 seconds)
Net Force = 3581.395349kg(m/s2)

Net Force on Player 1 = 3581.395 Newtons
Net Force on Player 2 (from Newton's 3rd LoM) = -3581.395 Newtons

I think this should be correct, but I think I'm doing something wrong. The book's answer work uses the formula :
Net Force = (m1v1 - m1v' / (0.3 seconds)
for net force, which doesn't make sense to me... seeing as how a change in momentum should be found by subtracting the final value from the initial.

By the way, the book's answer for player 1 is :
-2280 N

... Which makes sense if you use their formula (the calculations are correct)... but its the formula itself that I don't understand.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
quicksilver123 said:
I think this should be correct, but I think I'm doing something wrong. The book's answer work uses the formula :
Net Force = (m1v1 - m1v' / (0.3 seconds)
for net force, which doesn't make sense to me... seeing as how a change in momentum should be found by subtracting the final value from the initial.
You are correct. The book makes two errors:
(1) The formula is wrong; Change in anything is always final minus initial, as you point out.

By the way, the book's answer for player 1 is :
-2280 N
The second error the book makes, which is much worse, is:
(2) They neglect the sign of the velocities. That's the only way they can get this answer.

If all they did was use initial minus final, then there answer would be the same as yours except for a sign. No big deal, since the force acts on each player in different directions anyway.

Here's what they did:

For player 1:

FNet (Δt) = mv2 - mv1
FNet (0.3) = (110)(-8) - (110)(+1.77)
FNet (0.3) = -685.3
FNet = -2280

The actual calculation is correct, but the formula isn't... I'm not sure what they're playing at.

quicksilver123 said:
Here's what they did:

For player 1:

FNet (Δt) = mv2 - mv1
FNet (0.3) = (110)(-8) - (110)(+1.77)
The calculation is OK up to here.
FNet (0.3) = -685.3
But this step is wrong. (Do it yourself and see!)
FNet = -2280

The actual calculation is correct, but the formula isn't...
The calculation is not correct.

Yeah my bad, that's very wrong.
Shouldn't accept their answers at face-value, lol.

So my initial answer was correct?

quicksilver123 said:
So my initial answer was correct?
Yep!

Thanks !

1. What is conservation of momentum in 1-D?

Conservation of momentum in 1-D is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces.

2. How is momentum defined in 1-D?

Momentum in 1-D is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity in a given direction. It is a measure of an object's motion and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is an example of conservation of momentum in 1-D?

An example of conservation of momentum in 1-D is a billiard ball colliding with another billiard ball. The total momentum of the two balls before and after the collision will remain the same, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

4. How does conservation of momentum in 1-D apply to real-world situations?

Conservation of momentum in 1-D applies to real-world situations such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and even the movement of fluids in pipes. It is a fundamental principle in understanding the motion of objects and systems.

5. What is the relationship between conservation of momentum in 1-D and Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Conservation of momentum in 1-D is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of momentum, this means that the total momentum of a system will remain the same when two objects interact, but the individual momenta of each object may change in opposite directions.