Conservation of Momentum and Energy

In summary, the conversation discussed the equations of conservation of linear and angular momentum, H1=H2 and G1=G2, and how they relate to the velocity of a block and clay after impact. It was determined that the momentum will be conserved and can be represented as MbV1=Vtot(M1+M2+M3). However, the potential energy of the arm swinging upward was also brought up, but it was noted that this is a matter of energy, not momentum.
ryankunzzz

Homework Statement

media%2F655%2F6552a508-d11e-4c8c-9c6e-5e12276b9d7f%2Fphp4Rr6Au.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of liner and angular momentum
H1=H2
r x M1V1= r x M2V2

G1=G2
M1V1=M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten an equation for the velocity of the block and clay after the impact, and I also know that when the block reaches the highest point of its arc, its linear velocity is going to be the same as the velocity of the cart. Is the momentum going to be conserved and I can say MbV1=Vtot(M1+M2+M3)

Physics news on Phys.org
ryankunzzz said:
Is the momentum going to be conserved and I can say MbV1=Vtot(M1+M2+M3)
It seems like that would be true. On the other hand, I'm thinking, "It seems too easy. Am I missing something?" But I can't think of what that might be.

ryankunzzz said:
Is the momentum going to be conserved and I can say MbV1=Vtot(M1+M2+M3)
Yes, and I believe that is where the hint is directed.

Likes TomHart
But what about the about the change in potential energy as the arm swings upward?

ryankunzzz said:
But what about the about the change in potential energy as the arm swings upward?
What about it? That's energy, not momentum.

What is the Law of Conservation of Momentum and Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum and Energy states that in a closed system, the total momentum and energy remain constant over time. This means that the total amount of momentum and energy in a system before and after a collision or interaction will be the same.

How does conservation of momentum and energy apply to real-life situations?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum and Energy can be seen in many real-life situations, such as collisions between objects, the movement of projectiles, and the transfer of energy in a pendulum. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions and the motion of planets and stars in the universe.

Why is the conservation of momentum and energy important in physics?

The conservation of momentum and energy is essential in physics because it is a fundamental principle that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems. It allows us to analyze and solve complex problems involving motion and interactions between objects.

Can the conservation of momentum and energy be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum and energy is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It has been tested and proven to hold true in countless experiments and observations. However, it may seem like it is being violated in situations where external forces or energy inputs are not accounted for.

How can conservation of momentum and energy be applied to solve problems?

To solve problems involving conservation of momentum and energy, you can use the principle of conservation of momentum and energy equations, which state that the total momentum and energy before a collision or interaction are equal to the total momentum and energy after the event. By setting up and solving these equations, you can determine the final velocities or energies of the objects involved.