Conservation of momentum and energy

In summary: Sorry, my bad. However, after correcting the equation, ##2.4m_{1} = 8(u_{8kg}) - 22.4####2.4m_{1} = - 22.4##This doesn't seem to be right :/
jisbon
Homework Statement
Ball of 8kg explodes in 2 pieces at height of 30m. Both pieces fly out vertically, after 2 seconds, one piece reach the ground while the other is 16m above ground. Find mass of small piece that hits the ground first.
Relevant Equations
Change in KE = Final KE
Initial momentum = final momentum
So to start off,
the piece that hits the ground first is the smaller piece.
So I can form the equations where:
where
##8(u_{8kg})= m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2}##
##m_{1}+m_{2}= 8##
After 2 seconds,
##30 = v_{1}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{1}= 5.2m/s##
##(30-16) = v_{2}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{2}= 2.8m/s##
Am I supposed to craft any more equations from here?

The KE equations:

Change in KE = final KE
Change in KE
##(\frac{1}{2}m_{1}5.2^2) +(\frac{1}{2}m_{2}2.8^2) - (\frac{1}{2}mu^2)##

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial velocity of the ball (before explosion) is zero?if yes then one piece flies with velocity towards up and the other with velocity towards down, and this is because the total momentum has to be zero before and after the explosion.

I don't see why you should make an energy equation, that would be useful only if you had been asked how much chemical energy was converted to kinetic energy due to the explosion or something like that.

Delta2 said:
The initial velocity of the ball (before explosion) is zero?if yes then one piece flies with velocity towards up and the other with velocity towards down, and this is because the total momentum has to be zero before and after the explosion.

I don't see why you should make an energy equation, that would be useful only if you had been asked how much chemical energy was converted to kinetic energy due to the explosion or something like that.
Oh it actually makes sense now that 1 fly up and 1 fly down. I assumed both fly up because the question stated both pieces fly out vertically .
Since momentum = 0, I can state that
##8(u_{8kg})= m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2} = 0?##

Your equations are inconsistent.
jisbon said:
After 2 seconds,
##30 = v_{1}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{1}= 5.2m/s##
The equation above is correct and gives the distance from the origin at t = 2 s assuming that the positive direction is down and that the origin is at 30 m above ground. The second equation is inconsistent with these assumptions.
jisbon said:
##(30-16) = v_{2}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{2}= 2.8m/s##
If ##v_2## is the initial speed of the second fragment, then there should be a negative sign in front of it; if ##v_2## is the initial velocity of the second fragment, then its value should turn out negative when you substitute the numbers. That's because the two initial velocities are in opposite directions as already remarked by @Delta2 and @jisbon.

kuruman said:
Your equations are inconsistent.

The equation above is correct and gives the distance from the origin at t = 2 s assuming that the positive direction is down and that the origin is at 30 m above ground. The second equation is inconsistent with these assumptions.

If ##v_2## is the initial speed of the second fragment, then there should be a negative sign in front of it; if ##v_2## is the initial velocity of the second fragment, then its value should turn out negative when you substitute the numbers. That's because the two initial velocities are in opposite directions as already remarked by @Delta2 and @jisbon.

So from what I understood, these are the correct equations assuming downwards in positive?
1) ##8(u_{8kg})= m_{1}v_{1}-m_{2}v_{2} = 0##
2) ##30 = v_{1}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{1}= 5.2m/s##
3)##(30-16) = - v_{2}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{2}= 2.8m/s##

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
jisbon said:
So from what I understood, these are the correct equations assuming downwards in positive?
1) ##8(u_{8kg})= m_{1}v_{1}-m_{2}v_{2} = 0##
2) ##30 = v_{1}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{1}= 5.2m/s##
3)##(30-16) = - v_{2}(2)+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}##
##v_{2}= 2.8m/s##

A good exercise would be to check these figures by taking the ground as zero and upwards as positive. That's essentially how you are given the data.

In any case, these are correct. How do you find the mass of the mass of the small piece?

PeroK said:
A good exercise would be to check these figures by taking the ground as zero and upwards as positive. That's essentially how you are given the data.

In any case, these are correct. How do you find the mass of the mass of the small piece?
Ok, since I have ##v_{1}= 5.2m/s## and ##v_{2}= 2.8m/s##, as well as ##m_{1}+m_{2}= 8## --> ##m_{2} = 8-m_{1}##,

I can construct:

##8(u_{8kg})= m_{1}v_{1}-(m_{1}-8)v_{2} = 0##
##8(u_{8kg})= 5.2m_{1}-2.8(m_{1}-8) = 0##
##2.4m_{1} = 8(u_{8kg}) - 22.4##
Now the problem is finding ##u_{8kg}## , hence I was wondering if there's a need to use energy equation to get the initial velocity :confused:

I thought we had agree that the initial velocity is zero. Otherwise , I don't think the problem gives enough info to calculate the initial velocity and it cannot be solved otherwise.

Delta2 said:
I thought we had agree that the initial velocity is zero. Otherwise , I don't think the problem gives enough info to calculate the initial velocity and it cannot be solved otherwise.
Sorry, my bad.
However, after correcting the equation,
##2.4m_{1} = - 22.4##
This doesn't seem to be right :/

jisbon said:
Sorry, my bad.
However, after correcting the equation,
##2.4m_{1} = - 22.4##
This doesn't seem to be right :/
No, it is not right. As @Delta2 and others indicated, ##u_{8kg}=0##. In post #5 use that in equation (1) with the values for ##v_1## and ##v_2## that you already know to find an equation relating ##m_1## and ##m_2##. Then use that equation together with the fact that the masses add to 8 kg to find each mass separately.

Likes jisbon
kuruman said:
No, it is not right. As @Delta2 and others indicated, ##u_{8kg}=0##. In post #5 use that in equation (1) with the values for ##v_1## and ##v_2## that you already know to find an equation relating ##m_1## and ##m_2##. Then use that equation together with the fact that the masses add to 8 kg to find each mass separately.
I got it :) One of them is 2.8kg, the other is 5.2kg

That sounds about right, but which of the two hits the ground first?

1. What is the conservation of momentum and energy?

The conservation of momentum and energy states that in a closed system, the total amount of momentum and energy remains constant, meaning they cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. Why is conservation of momentum and energy important in science?

Conservation of momentum and energy is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions about the movement and interactions of objects.

3. How does conservation of momentum and energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of momentum and energy can be seen in everyday life, such as when a ball is thrown and bounces off a wall. The momentum and energy of the ball are conserved as it bounces off the wall and changes direction.

4. What happens when the conservation of momentum and energy is violated?

If the conservation of momentum and energy is violated, it means that the total amount of momentum and energy in a system has changed. This can occur in extreme situations, such as during a nuclear reaction, but in everyday situations, the conservation laws hold true.

5. How do scientists experimentally verify the conservation of momentum and energy?

Scientists can experimentally verify the conservation of momentum and energy by conducting experiments that measure the before and after states of a system. They can also use mathematical equations, such as the law of conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion, to analyze and predict the behavior of a system.