How Does Momentum Conserve When a Biker Hits the Pavement?

In summary, the system would be the biker (not just his head) and the earth. momentum is conserved in a head on collision between the biker and the pavement. The kinetic energy of the biker is dissapated as heat, sound, deformation of helmet etc.
MattsVai
I have a fundamental question regarding conservation of momentum (not homework).

So if we have a system of 2 balls, identical in size and weight, one of which is initially stationary until hit by the other ball. We have the following:

m1v1 + 0 = 0 + m2v2

or v2 = v1

and therefore there is conservation of momentum. Now what happens when say a biker hits the pavement with his helmet... how does momentum conserve? Is this a system of Earth vs bikers head? How can I quantify the conservation of momentum? having a hard time understanding...

Physics news on Phys.org
MattsVai said:
So if we have a system of 2 balls, identical in size and weight, one of which is initially stationary until hit by the other ball. We have the following:

m1v1 + 0 = 0 + m2v2

or v2 = v1
Note that this is only true in a head on collision i.e. one dimensional case, in general both balls will have a non zero velocity after the collision.
MattsVai said:
Now what happens when say a biker hits the pavement with his helmet... how does momentum conserve? Is this a system of Earth vs bikers head? How can I quantify the conservation of momentum? having a hard time understanding...
The system would be the biker (not just his head) and the earth. What do you mean your having hard time quantifying conservation of momentum?

Hi Hootenanny, thanks for the reply :)

So basically how do I demonstrate conservation of momentum for a system in which there is collision between a biker and pavement (earth)? Is it safe to consider the Earth as stationary given that it has rotational and translational movements? What happens to the kinetic energy of the biker once he hits the pavement... where does that energy go?

Cheers

not really the same case is here, because mass of Earth and of helmet is not same therefore velocity would differ.

MattsVai said:
Hi Hootenanny, thanks for the reply :)
No problem :smile:
MattsVai said:
So basically how do I demonstrate conservation of momentum for a system in which there is collision between a biker and pavement (earth)? Is it safe to consider the Earth as stationary given that it has rotational and translational movements?
You can consider that Earth stationary before the collision and just consider the velocity of the biker (which for the sake of simplicity we can model as a particle). After the collision however, you must consider the velocity of both the Earth and the biker. You can ignore the rotational momentum of both the biker and the Earth as this is not going to significantly affect the result. To be honest this calculation is going to produce a very small change in velocity for the earth, so I don't know how accurate this is going to be.
MattsVai said:
What happens to the kinetic energy of the biker once he hits the pavement... where does that energy go?
The kinetic energy is dissapated as heat, sound, deformation of helmet etc.

Makes sense :)

Thanks for the input Hootenanny.

All the best!

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

How is momentum defined?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the equation for conservation of momentum?

The equation for conservation of momentum is pinitial = pfinal, where p represents momentum. This means that the total momentum of all objects in a system before an event is equal to the total momentum of all objects after the event.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

One example of conservation of momentum is a billiard ball game. When a cue ball strikes another ball, the cue ball's momentum is transferred to the other ball, causing it to move. The total momentum of the two balls before and after the collision remains the same.

Another example is a rocket launching into space. The rocket expels gas with a high velocity, which creates a force in the opposite direction. This force propels the rocket forward, while the momentum of the expelled gas is equal and opposite to the momentum of the rocket, resulting in a net change of zero.

Why is conservation of momentum important in physics?

Conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that is always true. It is used to explain and predict the motion of objects in various situations, such as collisions and explosions. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects in space and other systems where external forces are not present.