Conservation of momentum in two dimensions?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of momentum and velocity of Ball B after a collision with Ball A, which initially travels west at 3.0 m/s and has a mass of 1.0 kg. The conversation covers different approaches and methodologies for solving the problem, including setting up vector diagrams and using Pythagoras theorem.
twofish
Hi all,
I'm having a tough time with a below question and would like some hints on where I've gone wrong if my answer is incorrect.
I think the reason it's difficult is because it intuitively doesn't make sense, ...heading 90 degrees south after initially traveling due east, not to mention that it changes the hypotenuse of my vector addition triangle from the Pa to P`b.

Here is the question;

"Ball A, rolling west at 3.0 m/s, has a mass of 1.0 kg. Ball B has a mass of 2.0 kg and is stationary. After colliding with ball B, ball A moves south at 2.0 m/s. Calculate the momentum and velocity of ball B after the collision.

This is my answer and methodology so far..

pa + pb = p`a + p`b (vector sum) with pb = 0
pa = mava = (1.0 kg) * (3.0 m/s) = 3.0 kg*m/s (this is the end total that must be met to satisfy conservation of momentum law)
p`a = ma`+va` = (1.0 kg) * (2.0 m/s) = 2.0kg*m/s

pa_x + pb_x = p`a_x + p`b_x
pa_y + pb_y = p`a_y + p`b_y

now I know the following.
pa_x = 3.0, p`a_x = -3.0 (since ball a is now going due south and has no eastward momentum)
pb_x = 0, p`b_x = ?

pa_y = 0, p`a_y = 2.0 (since ball a is now going due south)
pb_y = 0, p`b_y = -2.0 (since vector sum of vertical components must be 0)

Now I do this, I've changed signs to represent direction of travel for -x, +x, -y and +y ..they should all work out in the end?
pa + pb = p`a + p`b OR (pa_x + pa_y) + (pb_x + pb_y) = (p`a_x + p`a_y) + (p`b_x + p`b_y)
(-3.0 + 0) + (0 + 0) = (-3 + (-2)) + ( X + 2)
X = 0, or p`b_x = 0 ..so I now know that Ball B has no horizontal momentum, in theory.

Great ..do I care? I have no idea where to go from here with this methodology...

Alternatively I don't have to do any of the above save for;
p`a = ma`+av` = (1.0 kg) * (2.0 m/s) = 2.0kg*m/s.
Now I have two sides of a triangle, with pa = 3.0kg*ms and p'a = 2.0kg*m/s, p'b (Hypotenuse) uknown.
By Pythagoras theorem I get.. p'b = [tex]\sqrt{13}[/tex] or (3.6kg*m/s) which is the momentum of ball B.
Divide by 2.0 kg and I get 1.8m/s as the velocity.
Is this correct?
Thanks...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure how to interperet the information above, but the easiest way to do it (which is sort of the same as aove but simpler) is draw a vector diagram at the moment of collision and then find the total momentum vector. THen draw the vector diagram after the collision and draw the same total momentum vector again. You should have two 'known' vectors in your second diagram and one unknown vector. To find the unknown vector, subtract the 'known' balls vector from the net momentum vector.

twofish said:
Hi all,
I'm having a tough time with a below question and would like some hints on where I've gone wrong if my answer is incorrect.
I think the reason it's difficult is because it intuitively doesn't make sense, ...heading 90 degrees south after initially traveling due east, not to mention that it changes the hypotenuse of my vector addition triangle from the Pa to P`b.

Here is the question;

"Ball A, rolling west at 3.0 m/s, has a mass of 1.0 kg. Ball B has a mass of 2.0 kg and is stationary. After colliding with ball B, ball A moves south at 2.0 m/s. Calculate the momentum and velocity of ball B after the collision.

This is my answer and methodology so far..

pa + pb = p`a + p`b (vector sum) with pb = 0
pa = mava = (1.0 kg) * (3.0 m/s) = 3.0 kg*m/s (this is the end total that must be met to satisfy conservation of momentum law)
p`a = ma`+va` = (1.0 kg) * (2.0 m/s) = 2.0kg*m/s

pa_x + pb_x = p`a_x + p`b_x
pa_y + pb_y = p`a_y + p`b_y

now I know the following.
pa_x = 3.0, p`a_x = -3.0 (since ball a is now going due south and has no eastward momentum)
No, you don't know that! Assuming that you are setting up a standard coordinate system with positive x to the east and positive y to the north, after the collision p'a_x= 0 because there is neither east nor west momentum. Further, pa_x= -3.0 since west is negative.
pb_x = 0, p`b_x = ?
So -3.0+ 0= 0+ p'b_x. That's easy to solve.
pa_y = 0, p`a_y = 2.0 (since ball a is now going due south)
pb_y = 0, p`b_y = -2.0 (since vector sum of vertical components must be 0)
Better is: p'a_y= -2.0 so 0+ 0= -2.0+ p'b_y and p'b_y= +2.0

Now I do this, I've changed signs to represent direction of travel for -x, +x, -y and +y ..they should all work out in the end?
pa + pb = p`a + p`b OR (pa_x + pa_y) + (pb_x + pb_y) = (p`a_x + p`a_y) + (p`b_x + p`b_y)
(-3.0 + 0) + (0 + 0) = (-3 + (-2)) + ( X + 2)
X = 0, or p`b_x = 0 ..so I now know that Ball B has no horizontal momentum, in theory.
FAR better to "put in the signs" as you calculate the momentum: mv and v has sign corresponding to its direction.

Great ..do I care? I have no idea where to go from here with this methodology...

Alternatively I don't have to do any of the above save for;
p`a = ma`+av` = (1.0 kg) * (2.0 m/s) = 2.0kg*m/s.
Now I have two sides of a triangle, with pa = 3.0kg*ms and p'a = 2.0kg*m/s, p'b (Hypotenuse) uknown.
By Pythagoras theorem I get.. p'b = [tex]\sqrt{13}[/tex] or (3.6kg*m/s) which is the momentum of ball B.
Divide by 2.0 kg and I get 1.8m/s as the velocity.
Is this correct?
Thanks...
For this very simple case where B was not moving and A turned at a right angle, yes, that works. For more general collisions, it might not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okie, thanks much.
I will work on this a little more.

1. How is conservation of momentum defined in two dimensions?

Conservation of momentum in two dimensions is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a system of objects remains constant in all directions, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the sum of the momentum of all objects in the system in the x-direction and in the y-direction remains the same before and after a collision or interaction.

2. What is the equation for calculating momentum in two dimensions?

The equation for calculating momentum in two dimensions is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In two dimensions, this equation is applied separately for the x-direction and the y-direction. The total momentum of a system can be found by adding the momentum in the x-direction and the y-direction.

3. How is conservation of momentum applied in real-world situations?

Conservation of momentum in two dimensions is applied in many real-world situations, such as collisions between billiard balls, car crashes, and rocket launches. In these situations, the total momentum of the system is always conserved, allowing scientists to predict the outcome of the interaction.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in terms of conservation of momentum?

In elastic collisions, kinetic energy is conserved along with momentum. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In inelastic collisions, some kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or other factors, but momentum is still conserved.

5. Can conservation of momentum be violated?

No, conservation of momentum in two dimensions is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all situations. If it appears to be violated, it is likely due to external forces that were not accounted for or measurement errors.