Conservation of Momentum problem

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a wad of sticky clay and a wooden block on a horizontal surface. After impact, the block slides a distance of 7.50 m before coming to rest. By using the equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, the speed of the clay immediately before impact can be calculated. The work done by the friction force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the block+clay system after the collision.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Conservation of Momentum problem

Homework Statement

A 12.5 g wad of sticky clay is hurled horizontally at a 95 g wooden block initially at rest on a horizontal surface. The clay sticks to the block. After impact, the block slides 7.50 m before coming to rest. If the coefficient of friction between block and surface is 0.650, what was the speed of the clay immediately before impact?

Homework Equations

Ki = Kf + loss
Pi = Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem here is what I did:
Ki = Kf + loss
m1vi = (m1 + m2)vf

Using equation 2, I solved for vf. I then plugged that into the vf in the Kf in equation 1. Using this method, however, I did not get a correct answer. I feel like I am missing something at the beginning. Can someone tell me if this is the proper set up or if I am missing something? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Separate the problem into two parts:
(1) The collision itself. Use your momentum conservation equation here, just like you did.
(2) Post collision. What's the KE of the block+clay immediately after the collision? What's the work done by the friction force?

Would my 2 equations not be this:

1) (m1)(Vbefore) = (m1 + m2)(Vafter)

2) .5m1(Vbefore)^2 = .5(m1 + m2)(Vafter)^2 + loss

Sheneron said:
1) (m1)(Vbefore) = (m1 + m2)(Vafter)
Yes.

2) .5m1(Vbefore)^2 = .5(m1 + m2)(Vafter)^2 + loss
No.

Instead use: KE(after) = Work done by friction.

Ok, that worked.

Im not sure I completely understand why KE(after) = work done by friction.

Because the work done on the block+clay equals the change in its KE. After the collision, it starts out with KE(after) and ends up with 0 as it comes to rest.

Simple enough. Thanks

1. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by external forces.

2. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is an example of a conservation of momentum problem?

An example of a conservation of momentum problem is a collision between two billiard balls. The total momentum of the system before and after the collision must be equal.

4. What is the equation for conservation of momentum?

The equation for conservation of momentum is: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is mass and v is velocity of the objects before and after the interaction.

5. How does conservation of momentum apply to real-world situations?

Conservation of momentum applies to various real-world situations such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and sports like ice skating and gymnastics. It is a fundamental principle in understanding the motion of objects in our universe.