Conservation of momentum VS friction

In summary, the momentum of the "train + loose objects" is not conserved, so when the train suddenly stops, your body will continue moving at a constant speed unless acted upon by some force.
FelBEach
If you are in a moving train and the train stops instantly would you hit the object ahead of you at the exact same speed the train was traveling or would there be some slight deceleration due to friction? Wouldn't the friction your body experiences with the seat you are sitting on and the air around you cause you to decelerate even at a very minute rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in the point that friction acts to slow the passanger down a little (very little).

However, if a train moves and suddenly stops, it loses its momentum (which has to be conserved at all costs), so that momentum is now shared between every "loose" object in the train (people etc.)

For conservation of momentum we have that

m(train+loose objects)*v.initial=m(loose objects)*v.end

The train has a much larger mass than the loose objects, so the end velocity for them has to be a lot larger than when they were moving with the same speed as the train.

Conclusion, friction slows the passenger down a little, but the passengers total velocity is still larger than when moving at the same speed as the train.

when I said the train stops I was thinking the train hit some type of immovable object causing an immediate stop. Wouldn't the momentum from the train be just absorbed by the object and your body would only be moving because it was moving to begin with and just hasn't been stopped yet?

Ofey said:
You are correct in the point that friction acts to slow the passanger down a little (very little).

However, if a train moves and suddenly stops, it loses its momentum (which has to be conserved at all costs), so that momentum is now shared between every "loose" object in the train (people etc.)

For conservation of momentum we have that

m(train+loose objects)*v.initial=m(loose objects)*v.end

The train has a much larger mass than the loose objects, so the end velocity for them has to be a lot larger than when they were moving with the same speed as the train.

Conclusion, friction slows the passenger down a little, but the passengers total velocity is still larger than when moving at the same speed as the train.
This is completely incorrect. Momentum of the "train + loose objects" is not conserved--there is an external force acting on the train!

FelBEach said:
when I said the train stops I was thinking the train hit some type of immovable object causing an immediate stop. Wouldn't the momentum from the train be just absorbed by the object and your body would only be moving because it was moving to begin with and just hasn't been stopped yet?
Perfectly correct. Your body will continue moving in a straight line at constant speed unless acted upon by some force. (This is Newton's 1st law.) The seat friction (hopefully) will slow you down a bit before you collide into something.

Of course, I am terribly sorry :frown: I was just thinking that the train stopped, never thought about the force making it stop, which obviously has to exist.

Thanks, you guys helped me a lot. respect

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects as they slide against each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of objects, which create resistance and make it difficult for objects to slide smoothly against each other.

How do conservation of momentum and friction relate?

The conservation of momentum and friction are related in the sense that friction is a force that can cause a change in the momentum of an object. When two objects collide, the friction between them can cause a decrease in the momentum of one or both objects.

Can friction have a positive impact on conservation of momentum?

Yes, in some cases, friction can have a positive impact on conservation of momentum. For example, in a car accident, the friction between the tires and the road can help slow down the car and reduce the impact force, thus conserving momentum and reducing potential injuries.

How can scientists use the concepts of conservation of momentum and friction in their research?

Scientists can use the principles of conservation of momentum and friction to study and predict the motion of objects in various scenarios. This can help in designing safer and more efficient systems, such as vehicles, and in understanding the behavior of objects in different environments, such as in space or on different surfaces.