Calculating Momentum of Gun-Fired Shell

In summary, using the conservation of momentum, it can be shown that the final velocity of a gun firing a shell is equal to the initial velocity of the shell multiplied by the ratio of the gun's mass to the combined mass of the gun and shell. This equation assumes no external forces and considers the velocity with respect to the ground. The initial velocity of the system is assumed to be 0.
Oblio
Using the conservation of momentum I need to show that a gun firing a shell will equal:

v=v(1+m)M

Where the gun of mass M shoots a shell with mass m and a velocity of v.
There are no external forces, ie the gun is free to recoil.
And its the velocity with respect to the ground...

This is what I've gotten to

v(m +M) = Mv(s) - mv(g)

v=Mv(s) - mv(g) / (m + M)
I'v done more, but I'm not if need to equal something to zero somewhere, since technically v (initial) is zero...

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the question asking... if the initial velocity of the system is 0, then the initial momentum of the system is 0.

So: initial momentum = final momentum

0 = Mbullet*vbullet - Mgun*vgun

I can confirm that your calculation is correct. In order to show that the gun firing a shell will result in an equal velocity, we can use the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum before an event (in this case, the gun firing the shell) is equal to the total momentum after the event.

In this scenario, the initial momentum is zero since the gun and the shell are at rest before the firing. Therefore, we can set the initial momentum equal to the final momentum:

0 = Mv(i) + mv(i) = Mv(f) + mv(f)

Where v(i) is the initial velocity and v(f) is the final velocity.

Since we are interested in the final velocity of the gun and the shell combined, we can rearrange the equation to solve for v(f):

Mv(f) = -mv(f)

And dividing both sides by (m+M), we get:

v(f) = -mv(f) / (m+M)

This is the same as the equation you have derived, except for the negative sign. This negative sign indicates that the gun and the shell will have opposite velocities, as expected from the conservation of momentum principle.

To address your concern about equating something to zero, note that the initial momentum is already equal to zero, so there is no need to set anything equal to zero in this case.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the conservation of momentum and its application to this scenario. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate the momentum of a gun-fired shell?

The momentum of a gun-fired shell can be calculated using the formula p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. First, determine the mass of the shell in kilograms, and then measure the velocity of the shell in meters per second. Multiply the two values to get the momentum in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

2. Why is it important to calculate the momentum of a gun-fired shell?

Calculating the momentum of a gun-fired shell is important because it helps us understand the force and impact of the shell. This can be useful for determining the effectiveness of different types of ammunition, as well as for safety precautions when handling and firing guns.

3. What factors can affect the momentum of a gun-fired shell?

The momentum of a gun-fired shell can be affected by several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the shell, the angle at which it is fired, and air resistance. The type and pressure of gunpowder used can also impact the momentum of the shell.

4. Is there a maximum momentum that a gun-fired shell can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum momentum that a gun-fired shell can reach. This is determined by the mass and velocity of the shell, as well as the limitations of the gun itself. The maximum momentum can vary depending on the type of gun and ammunition being used.

5. How can the momentum of a gun-fired shell be used in real-life applications?

The momentum of a gun-fired shell has many real-life applications. It is used in ballistics to determine the trajectory and impact of bullets, as well as in military and law enforcement operations. It is also important in understanding the physics of firearms and can be used for safety and accuracy improvements in gun design and usage.