Conservation of Momentum: Understanding the Law and Its Applications

In summary, the student is trying to integrate an equation for momentum, but is having trouble understanding how to do it. They are also confused about when momentum is conserved.
kyin01

Homework Statement

1-12.png

Calculus based so feel free to explain with integrals and such

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{p}[/tex]=m[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]

Newton's 3rd law, action reaction forces are internal forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

I Guess my question is just understand why I got those answers. I'm a little confused on when momentum is conserved (Law of conservation of momentum). Is it only in an isolated system? Where only internal forces react and external forces equal to 0?

And if that's the case, does that mean law of conservation of momentum states that [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\vec{p}[/tex] = 0 ?

So like for example in question B, why would direction matter? Because either way it still collides right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is correct answwer. Its kinda hard to understand at first, but think of the objects moving parellel to x axis, one going postive other in negative way both collide, both didint have same direction, since one direction was negative other was positive . So the correct answer would be dependent on the objects how they were moving previous to collions and sticking

Okay, I see what you mean, it can also crash when one is going faster and in the same direction. I just need to get use to it I guess, which brings me to my next problem

Homework Statement

2-7.png

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{net}[/tex] ([tex]t_{2}[/tex] - [tex]t_{1}[/tex] ) = [tex]mv_{2}[/tex] - [tex]mv_{1}[/tex]
Which is the impluse momentum theory.
I seriously hate the latex coding sometimes, same coding but the right side of the equation didnt make subscripts

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried integrating the above equation but I don't know how to put it in terms of F and t. I've also tried rearranging the above equation so that momentum at the 2nd time will equal something, but I get a V variable when I did that.

Last edited:
well you would be integrating i belivee respect to time from t=0 to some t in the future, btw where are you taking these questions, i kinkda would like to try them myselves :)

Hey what program/website/? is that you are using? I really dig that format of how it presents the information and questions.

th3plan said:
well you would be integrating i belivee respect to time from t=0 to some t in the future, btw where are you taking these questions, i kinkda would like to try them myselves :)

Yeah that's what I thought too, but when I did that I was left with variables m and t, no F.
And they want it in terms with F

and it's masteringphysics.com
It's a pay site :(

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why is conservation of momentum important?

Conservation of momentum is important because it allows us to predict the motion of objects in a system and understand how forces interact with each other.

3. How is conservation of momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the third law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the total momentum of a system will remain constant unless an external force acts upon it.

4. Does conservation of momentum apply to all types of collisions?

Yes, conservation of momentum applies to all types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions. In an elastic collision, the objects rebound off each other with no loss of energy, while in an inelastic collision, some energy is lost and the objects may stick together.

5. How is conservation of momentum used in real-world applications?

Conservation of momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in designing and testing car safety features, calculating the path of projectiles, and understanding the behavior of fluids in motion.