Final Speed of Trolley After Child Jumps Out

In summary, the child's speed is given with respect to the trolley's final speed not the speed of the center of mass. The first equation is for a situation where the child's and trolley's speeds are the same, while the second equation is for a situation where the child's and trolley's speeds are different.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

A trolley of mass 200 kg moves with velocity of 10 m/s on a friction less track. A child of mass 20 kg runs on the trolley with a sped of 4 m/s relative to the trolley in the direction opposite to the trolley's motion and jumps out of the trolley. What is the final speed of the trolley?

Homework Equations

La of conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

My reference frame is moving with the velocity of the center of mass.
4*20=200*v
v=0.4
Therefore with respect to ground velocity of trolley=10.4 m/sec?

Is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The confusion arises when I do it from the ground frame.
220*10=20(v-4)+ 200*v
solving to get v=10.36 m/s

Which of the two solutions is correct?

ritwik06 said:
My reference frame is moving with the velocity of the center of mass.
4*20=200*v
v=0.4
Therefore with respect to ground velocity of trolley=10.4 m/sec?
Careful. The speed of the child with respect to the trolley is 4m/s, not with respect to the center of mass.
ritwik06 said:
The confusion arises when I do it from the ground frame.
220*10=20(v-4)+ 200*v
solving to get v=10.36 m/s
Much better.

Doc Al said:
Careful. The speed of the child with respect to the trolley is 4m/s, not with respect to the center of mass.

Much better.
But I thought the first one was correct. The reason being that the velocity of the center of mass and the initial velocity of the trolley was same.

Please have a look at the attached image. Its a page from a Physics Book written by Resnick Halliday & Walker. I have highlighted the points of doubt. The thing is that the calculations have been made in a similar fashion as my first method. Have a look.
th_15194_Momentum_122_989lo.JPG
I am totally confused.

ritwik06 said:
The reason being that the velocity of the center of mass and the initial velocity of the trolley was same.
That's true, but note that the child's speed is given with respect to the trolley's final speed not the speed of the center of mass.

With the rocket equation things are different. With child and trolley we are dealing with finite (sizeable) changes in mass and speed, not just just tiny continuous deltas. Note that whether you measure the speed of the ejected fuel with respect to [itex]v[/itex] or [itex]v + \Delta v[/itex] doesn't really matter, since the [itex]\Delta m \Delta v[/itex] term would be dropped anyway.

1. What is the final speed of the trolley after a child jumps out?

The final speed of the trolley after a child jumps out will depend on a few factors, such as the initial speed of the trolley, the mass of the child, and the friction between the trolley and the ground. In most cases, the trolley will experience a decrease in speed after the child jumps out due to the loss of weight and the increase in friction.

2. How does the mass of the child affect the final speed of the trolley?

The mass of the child will have a direct impact on the final speed of the trolley after the child jumps out. The greater the mass of the child, the greater the decrease in speed of the trolley will be. This is because the trolley has to carry more weight after the child jumps out, causing a decrease in overall momentum.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the final speed of the trolley after a child jumps out?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the final speed of the trolley after a child jumps out. It is known as the conservation of momentum formula, which states that the initial momentum of the trolley and child must equal the final momentum after the child jumps out. This formula takes into account the mass and velocity of both the trolley and the child.

4. How does the initial speed of the trolley impact the final speed after a child jumps out?

The initial speed of the trolley will also play a role in determining the final speed after a child jumps out. If the trolley is initially moving at a high speed, it will have more momentum and therefore experience a greater decrease in speed after the child jumps out. On the other hand, if the trolley is initially moving at a slower speed, the decrease in speed may not be as significant.

5. Can the final speed of the trolley after a child jumps out be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as the surface the trolley is moving on, the presence of air resistance, and the angle of the slope can all impact the final speed of the trolley after a child jumps out. These factors may increase or decrease the amount of friction acting on the trolley and can ultimately affect its final speed.