Collision of Two Carts: What Speed After Impact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of momentum in solving a problem involving two carts colliding. The initial and final velocities of one cart are given, and the question asks for the final velocity of the other cart. The issue of a missing term in the equation is addressed, and the correct answer is determined by taking into account the negative velocity of the first cart in the reference frame.
dherm56
A cart (m1 = 110 kg) is moving to the right along a track at v1i = 17 m/s when it hits a stationary cart (m2 = 390 kg) and rebounds with a speed of v1f = 7 m/s in the opposite direction.
a) With what speed does the 390 kg cart move after the collision?

I used conservation of momentum, m1v1=m2v2, because there are no net external forces acting on the system. However, my answer of 1.97 is incorrect. Is there more to this problem that I'm not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum means that the sum of the momenta of the objects before collision equal the sum afterward. You are missing a term in the after collision side of your equation

I changed my equation to m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

There is no initial velocity for m2 so that term cancels out. However, I was still unable to obtain the final velocity of m2

Since there is no change in momentum, then [tex]p_i=p_f[/tex]. [tex]m_1v_{i}+m_2v_{i}=m_1v_{2f}+m_2v_{2f}[/tex]. Note that [tex]v_i[/tex] of m2 is 0

edit: you guys got it before I posted.

The conservation of momentum concept I understand. However, my answer of 2.82 is not correct.

I got the correct answer. I forgot that vf of m1 is negative in reference to the lab frame.

Thank you for the help

Last edited:

1. How is the speed after impact calculated?

The speed after impact is calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be expressed as m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass of each cart and v is the initial and final velocities of each cart.

2. What factors influence the speed after impact?

The speed after impact is influenced by the mass and velocity of each cart, as well as the type and elasticity of the objects involved in the collision. Friction and external forces can also affect the speed after impact.

3. How does the angle of collision affect the speed after impact?

The angle of collision can affect the speed after impact by changing the direction of the momentum transfer between the two carts. A head-on collision will result in a greater speed after impact compared to an oblique collision, where some of the momentum is transferred in a lateral direction.

4. What happens to the speed after impact if the carts have different masses?

If the carts have different masses, the speed after impact will be dependent on the mass ratio of the two carts. The larger and heavier cart will transfer more momentum to the smaller and lighter cart, resulting in a greater speed after impact for the smaller cart and a lower speed after impact for the larger cart.

5. How does the elasticity of the objects affect the speed after impact?

The elasticity of the objects involved in the collision can affect the speed after impact by determining how much kinetic energy is lost or conserved during the collision. In a perfectly elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, the speed after impact will be equal to the initial speed. In an inelastic collision, where some energy is lost, the speed after impact will be less than the initial speed.