1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservation of momentum

1. Dec 23, 2009 #1
    hi i am doing physics 30 by modules after doing it by class. and i am having a hard time working this question out.

A car with a mass of 1400kg is westbound at 50km/h. it collides at an intersection with a northbound truck having a mass of 2000kg and travelling at 40km/h. what is the inital common velocity of the car and truck immediatley after the collision if they have an inelastic collision?

i did all my conversions but i just cant figure out the proper steps in receiving the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2
    Momentum should be conservered along both the x and y axes. Write some eqns to express the momenta before and after the collision--the mass of the car/truck is just the sum of the two individually.

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3
    so i dont really have to worry about the inelastic collision.
    because i was stuck on that part.
    just go along with finding the inital momentum and final and go from there?

5. Dec 23, 2009 #4
    Inelastic collisions only effect the conservation of kinetic energy, not momentum.

6. Dec 24, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook