Calculating Maximum Elevation of Top Ball After Collision

In summary, two balls with different masses fall from a height of 5m and collide with each other and the floor. Using the given equations and making certain assumptions, it is possible to determine the maximum elevation of the top ball after the collisions.
Crebble32

Homework Statement

Two balls fall one above the other from height h= 5m. The bottom one has m= .1kg and the top one has m= .01kg. What will be the maximum elevation of the TOP ball after the balls hit the floor? Assume that collisions with the floor and between the balls are elastic.

Homework Equations

I tried this with: V1f= V1i* ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2)) + ((2m2)/(m1+m2))*V2i
V2f= V1i* ((2m1)/(m1+m2)) + ((m2-m1)/(m1+m2))*V2i

Then use: h= (1/2 m(V2)^2)/(mg)

The Attempt at a Solution

The issue is, the Vf is when the bottom ball has hit the floor and has changed directions and the m2 ball is still falling down... They collide and then the m2 ball changes direction.

I am so confused on what to do next. I appreciate any help possible! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you are not given the sizes of the balls, in which case you can assume that the balls are small compared to the height of 5 meter. You may also assume that the two balls are placed and released with one just above the other and ignoring air resistance they will fall with same acceleration and therefore maintain their relative position until just before they reach the floor. During the collisions you can assume the bottom ball collides with the floor and reverses direction (with same speed as before since the floor does not move) and thereafter collides with the top ball, but that both collisions happens so fast after each other that the bottom ball hits the top ball with same speed as it hit the floor.

With all these assumptions and the equations you have correctly specified, you should be able to determine the two initial speeds in the 2nd collision from the height, from this you can get the speed of the top ball and from this again you finally get the maximum height the top ball can obtain.

Thank you for your help!

1. How do you calculate the maximum elevation of the top ball after collision?

The maximum elevation of the top ball after collision can be calculated using the formula: h = (v02sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum elevation, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the maximum elevation of the top ball after collision?

The maximum elevation of the top ball after collision is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that may affect it include air resistance and the elasticity of the collision between the two balls.

3. Can the maximum elevation of the top ball after collision be higher than the initial height of the top ball?

Yes, the maximum elevation of the top ball after collision can be higher than the initial height of the top ball. This can happen if the initial velocity and angle of projection are high enough, and if the collision is elastic.

4. How can I determine the angle of projection for the maximum elevation of the top ball after collision?

The angle of projection that will result in the maximum elevation of the top ball after collision can be determined by using the formula: θ = tan-1(v02/2gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the top ball before collision.

5. Is the formula for calculating maximum elevation of the top ball after collision valid for all types of collisions?

No, the formula for calculating maximum elevation of the top ball after collision is valid only for elastic collisions, where there is no loss of energy during the collision. In inelastic collisions, where there is some loss of energy, the formula may not accurately calculate the maximum elevation.