Solving Momentum and Elasticity Problem

In summary: Can you solve for that?Remember that momentum is conserved, so the before collision momentum is the same as the after collision momentum. Thus, the velocity of the 2kg mass is also the same as the velocity of the 1kg mass, -1m/s.
vaironl
Hello form, Vaironl here.

I have some few very basic questions. Why might you ask? I came from a trip about a week ago and in my physics class we are discussing momentum, and elasticity.
I asked my teacher for help but he really is a bit busy at the moment, and the semester/quarter will soon be done.

I have this problem explained better on a image see it below.
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9095/problemhm.jpg

I tried to solve this, in the following order:
Find the total momentum before : 1kg * 2m/s + 2kg * -2m/s = 2kgm/s + -4kgm/s = -2kgm/s
Find total momentum after (This is were I get stuck): 1kg * -1m/s + 2kg * VEL = -2kgm/s + 2kg

I really don't know what to do, sorry to bother you guys with such basic questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not a bother, it's the purpose of the forum.
Your analysis of the before collision momentum looks very good. The after part is almost correct. The terms to the left of the equals sign are good and on the right the first term is as well. There is a "+ 2kg", is that a typo?

bacon said:
The question is not a bother, it's the purpose of the forum.
Your analysis of the before collision momentum looks very good. The after part is almost correct. The terms to the left of the equals sign are good and on the right the first term is as well. There is a "+ 2kg", is that a typo?

No sorry for that I thought that I should have left it blank indicating I din't know the speed, but I see I created greater confusion.

I think the best way to approach the second problem is to first find out the velocity.

Remember that conservation of momentum

m1v1(initial) + m2(v2)initial = (m1) v1final + m2v2final

You know every single variable except for v2final. Solve for that.

That's ok.
Remember that since momentum is conserved, the momentum before the collision is the same as that after the collision. You have correctly calculated the momentum before the collision, -2kgm/s, so that's what the total after collision momentum must be as well. Your unknown speed is the VEL in your second term. Can you solve for that?

bacon said:
That's ok.
Remember that since momentum is conserved, the momentum before the collision is the same as that after the collision. You have correctly calculated the momentum before the collision, -2kgm/s, so that's what the total after collision momentum must be as well. Your unknown speed is the VEL in your second term. Can you solve for that?

I believe now I got it I was confused because I was trying to use two separte variables (1kg*-1m/s)+(2kg * VEL) but I notice that I can just add the kg and find the vel right?

(1kg+2kg)(VEL)
-2kgm/s = 2kg * Vel

Vel = [itex]\frac{-2kgm/s}{2kg}[/itex]
= -1m/s

The velocities of the two masses are not necessarily the same(most of the time they are not). Look at the equation 15tungAlbert posted, the before collision momentum(left side) is equal to the after collision momentum(right side).
You are given the velocity of the 1kg mass post collision. Your only unknown is the velocity of the 2kg mass, post collision.

1. What is momentum and how is it related to elasticity?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is directly related to elasticity, as it represents the ability of an object to transfer its motion to other objects upon collision.

2. How do you solve a momentum problem?

To solve a momentum problem, you must first identify all the objects involved and their respective masses and velocities. Then, use the equation p = mv (momentum = mass x velocity) to calculate the initial and final momenta of the system. Finally, use the principle of conservation of momentum to set the initial and final momenta equal to each other and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system are conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms (such as heat or sound) and the total momentum is conserved.

4. How do you determine the coefficient of restitution in an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution (e) is a measure of the elasticity of a collision and is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of separation by the relative velocity of approach. In an elastic collision, e is equal to 1, while in an inelastic collision, e is less than 1.

5. Can you solve a momentum and elasticity problem without knowing the masses of the objects?

No, the masses of the objects are necessary to calculate the initial and final momenta and to apply the principle of conservation of momentum. Without this information, it is impossible to solve the problem accurately.