1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball of mass m travels with speed v, hits a stationary ball with the same mass m and after collision they both move at speed v/2.
    From the point of view of the first ball the total momentum is -mv and after the collision it is 0. why isn't the law of conservation of momentum valid for this coordinate system?

2. Relevant equations
    The first and second laws of newton, F=ma and that a body is at rest while no forces act on it are valid in all coordinate systems moving at constant speed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The coordinate system has acceleration during the collision so F=ma isn't valid. i don't know to continue from here and i guess it's the right answer, no?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds good to me. The coordinate system attached to the first ball is not an inertial reference frame.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted