1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    After shooting a 28g arrow with an initial velocity of 92m/s[forward], an archer standing on a frictionless surface travels in the opposite direction at a speed of 0.039m/s. Calculate the combined mass of the archer and the bow.

Given: **Subscript of 1 indicates values for the arrow and subscript of 2 indicates values for the archer

m1=0.028kg
    vi1=92m/s[forward]
    vf1=0m/s

vi1=0.039m/s[backward]
    vf2=0m/s

2. Relevant equations
    m1vi1+m2vi2=m1vf1+m2vf2

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only way this problem works is if you treat the archer and the bow as one body/one object and using the above formula and values, solve for m2:

(0.029)(92)+m2(0.039)=0
    2.576=-m2(0.039)
    -66.05128205kg=m2

I got the correct answer aside from the negative sign in front of my answer. Why is my answer negative? Does that mean I did something wrong?

Also, why do you treat the archer and the bow as one collective object? I thought the law of conservation of momentum, which gives us the equation I used, applied to situations when two objects collide in an isolated system. If so, then what collision occurs in this problem; how are both the bow and the archer colliding with the arrow?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With your initial and final you describe a fully inelastic collision of an arrow and an archer plus bow. Rather fatal for the archer ...

Is it strange you get a negative mass ? The recoil from shooting the arrow makes the archer go backwards (that's why it's called recoil) wrt the arrow ! Yet you have the same sign for both speeds !

4. May 2, 2016 #3
    I thought that it was okay not to plug in negative signs indicating direction for vector values when doing calculations to find a scalar value, like mass.

5. May 2, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, apparently you thought wrong: a negative mass is unphysical !

6. May 2, 2016 #5
    Good to know

7. May 2, 2016 #6
    But why are the bow and archer one mass?

8. May 2, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because the archer is assumed to hold the bow rigidly. In a different model, the archer could let go of bow and arrow at the same instant. The arrow would travel a smallish distance one way, and the bow a smaller distance the other.
    Note that with a firearm that second model is closer to what happens. The impulse is so great that it is not possible (and maybe not a good idea to try) to hold the weapon rigidly.

9. May 2, 2016 #8
    What is the collision that happens, the bow and the arrow are not colliding, they were already in contact.

10. May 3, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Conservation of momentum is not limited to collisions.

11. May 3, 2016 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Physically the time reversal of a collision happens: first they are together (sum of momenta = 0) and then they separate -- without any external forces acting. So the center of mass does not accelerate and sum of momenta remains zero.

Newton 3: action = - reaction makes that afterwards the individual momenta are equal and opposite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted