1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of probability

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a wavefunction [itex]\psi = \pi^{-1\over 4}(1+it)^{-1\over 2} \exp{({-x^2\over 2(1+it)})}[/itex]

I want to show that it satisfies the conservation of probability.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\partial_t P +\partial_x j =0[/itex] --(*)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the probability distribution to be [itex]P=\pi^{-1\over 2}(1+t^2)^{-1\over 2} \exp{({-x^2\over (1+t^2)})}[/itex] and the probability current [itex]j=ix\pi^{-1\over 2}(1+t^2)^{-3\over 2} \exp{({-x^2\over (1+t^2)})}[/itex]

This gives [itex]\partial_t P = -t\pi^{-1\over 2}(1+t^2)^{-5\over 2} (t^2-2x^2+1)\exp{({-x^2\over (1+t^2)})}[/itex] and [itex]\partial_x j = i\pi^{-1\over 2}(1+t^2)^{-5\over 2} (t^2-2x^2+1)\exp{({-x^2\over (1+t^2)})}[/itex]

But how are they do they satisfy (*)?

tHanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    If equation (*) is satisfied then probability IS conserved. And your derivatives of P and of j show just that.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    @grzz:

Thanks, I know that! The problem is notice how the 2 partial derivatives are not exactly equal! My aim is to fit them into (*).

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    Sorry!! I missed the extra t in the derivative of P.

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    @grzz:

Also the extra [itex]i[/itex] in the 2nd expression :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook