1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation problem

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that although gamma rays can have energies greater than the energy of a e+e- pair at rest, the process gamma --> e+e- is forbidden.

2. Relevant equations

Noether's theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that to show that the process is forbidden, I should be able to show that it violates a conservation principle. But I'm not at all sure what formalism to use for the problem. Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Energy may conserved in this process but what other major conserved quantities do we have? HINT: The one that isn't conserved here, you learned about in introductory physics. Remember, the resulting particles are at rest.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Ok, so it turns out that I was misreading the problem. All that I need to do (if I am now reading correctly, lol) is to prove that pair production can't occur in empty space!! That's not bad at all; the requirements of energy conservation demand that another nucleus be present to absorb some of the photon's linear momentum (without another nucleus, conservation of linear momentum is violated). It's a quick proof. Thanks for the help. Sometimes I just need to actually read my problems more carefully...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook