1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservative force

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that the force [tex]F(x,y) = (x^{2}+3y+11)\widehat{x} + (3x +5y^{3}+11)\widehat{y}[/tex] is conservative

2. Relevant equations
    it's conservative if [tex]\nabla X F = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok, I know how to take the gradient of a function like F(x,y) = x^2 + 3xy + 3 + y, but I'm not sure how to take the gradient of the function for this question. I've tried many things, including taking the partial derivative of x within the brackets next to the x unit vector, and the partial derivative of y within the brackets next to the y unit vector.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{F}[/itex] represents the curl of [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex], not the gradient. I'm sure your textbook covers how to calculate a curl, so I suggest you open it up and read that section.

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    yes I know it represents the curl. I know how to find the curl if I have the gradient. But I'm stuck on the part where you have to find the gradient

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gradient and curl are two very different types of derivatives. The gradient takes a scalar function as input and outputs a vector function. The curl takes a vector function as input and outputs a vector function. You do not calculate the curl by first calculating the gradient.

You seem very confused on how to calculate the curl of a vector field, so again, I recommend you open your textbook and read the section on curls.

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5
    the curl is a cross product between the gradient of the force and the force itself. The textbook only tells me how to find the curl given a force in the form of say F(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 + 2, where the finding the gradient is straightforward, and so is using that to find the curl. however, for this question, the force is given in terms of
    [tex]\widehat{x}, \widehat{y}[/tex]
    I don't know how to do it using a force given in this way, and my textbook nor the class notes have any information either. And I can't find anything on the internet either.

7. Apr 22, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it isn't. The gradient of a vector, like [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex], would be a second rank tensor (or matrix)...how exactly would you compute the cross product of a tensor/matrix with a vector?

The curl of [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] is the cross product of the vector differential operator [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}=\hat{\mathbf{x}}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\hat{\mathbf{y}}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}+\hat{\mathbf{z}}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[/itex] (often called the "Del operator" or "nabla operator") with [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex]. It can be represented by the following determinant:

[tex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{F}=\begin{vmatrix}\hat{\mathbf{x}} & \hat{\mathbf{y}} & \hat{\mathbf{z}} \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ F_x & F_y & F_z\end{vmatrix}=\left( \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y}- \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial z}\right)\hat{\mathbf{x}}+\left( \frac{\partial F_x}{\partial z}- \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial x}\right)\hat{\mathbf{y}}+\left( \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial F_x}{\partial y}\right)\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/tex]

I can't believe that. What textbook are you using?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook