1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservative force

1. Apr 26, 2013 #1
    So for a force to be conservative it can only depend on position and the work as to be the same for all paths.

The force mass time gravity is conservative but how do I show the all paths are the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you just show the force can be defined as the gradient of a potential? Guess the potential if you have to.

4. Apr 26, 2013 #3
    Since gravity is acting along the radius to the center of earth, then would ##\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}) = -m\mathbf{r}##?

5. Apr 26, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is a conservative force, but I don't think Newton would agree it has much to do with gravity. What are you thinking?

6. Apr 26, 2013 #5
    I wrote why I put that.

I said since gravity is acting along the raidus vector to the center of earth then could I wrtie F in such a manner.

7. Apr 26, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a LOT of possible forces that would act along a radius vector to the center of the earth. Gravity is a special one. Not that it even matters for showing it's conservative, but don't you know more about gravity than that? -mr increases in magnitude as you move away from the earth. That's not gravity.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted