1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservative forces?

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves in a horizontal plane along the parabola ##y = x^2##. At t=0, it is at the point (1,1) with speed v0. Aside from the force of constraint holding it to the path, it is acted upon by the following external forces:
    A radial force: ##\vec F_a = -A r^3\hat r##
    A force given by : ##\vec F_b = B (y^2\hat \imath - x^2 \hat \jmath)##

where A,B are constants.
    a- Are the forces conservative?
    b- What is the speed ##v_f## of the particle when it arrives at the origin ?

2. Relevant equations
    curl, integration on a path

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello, I've just started a new chapter about mathematical aspects of force and energy. It's a little hard to digest at the beginning so maybe you can check my work. Thanks !

a - To test whether a force is conservative, I must check that ##\vec \nabla \times \vec F = \vec 0 ##, but I'm gonna need an expression of the gradient in polar coordinates for the (x,y) plane. I believe that it is ##\vec \nabla = \frac{\partial .}{\partial r} \hat r + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial .}{\partial \theta} \hat\theta + \frac{\partial .}{\partial z} \hat k## because if ##g = g(r,\theta,z)##, then its differential is

## \begin{array}{ccr}
    dg := (\nabla_{\hat r} g)\ dr + (\nabla_{\hat \theta} g)\ ds + (\nabla_{\hat k} g)\ dz
    & \text{and} &
    \begin{align}
    dg =& \frac{\partial g}{\partial r}\ dr + \frac{\partial g}{\partial \theta} \ d\theta
    + \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\ dz \\
    =& \frac{\partial g}{\partial r}\ dr + \frac{\partial g}{\partial \theta} \ (\frac{ds}{r}) + \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\ dz
    \end{align}
    \end{array} ##

So if you confirm this is right,

##
    \begin{array}{cc}
    \vec \nabla \times \vec F_a =
    \begin{vmatrix}
    \hat r & \hat \theta & \hat k \\
    \frac{\partial .}{\partial r} & \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial .}{\partial \theta}& \frac{\partial .}{\partial z} \\
    -A r^3 & 0 & 0
    \end{vmatrix} = \vec 0
    &
    \vec \nabla \times \vec F_b =
    \begin{vmatrix}
    \hat \imath & \hat \jmath & \hat k \\
    \frac{\partial .}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial .}{\partial y}& \frac{\partial .}{\partial z} \\
    B y^2 & -Bx^2 & 0
    \end{vmatrix} = -2B(x+y) \hat k\neq \vec 0
    \end{array}
    ##

So that only the radial force is conservative.

b- ##\vec F_b## does a non-conservative work on the path ##y = x^2## from x=1 to x=0, so its work is :
    ## \begin{align}
    W^{(nc)} =& B \int_{(1,1)}^{(0,0)}(y^2 dx - x^2 \ dy) \\
    =& - B\int_{0}^{1} (x^4\ dx - x^2 (2x\ dx)) \\
    =& \frac{3B}{10}
    \end{align}##

The potential fonction of the radial force is ##U_a(\vec r) = \frac{A}{4} r^4##.

By conservation of total energy,

##E_f - E_i =W^{(nc)} \Rightarrow v_f^2 = v_0^2 + \frac{A}{2m} +\frac{3B}{5m}##

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2
  4. Feb 2, 2015 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your result is correct, but check the formula for curl in cylindrical coordinates.

5. Feb 2, 2015 #4
    Thanks ! I've just checked on the internet, it's the same thing with 1/r factored out of the determinant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted