Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservative of momentum

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    1 car has mass 15000 drive in velocity 40m/s and 1 van has mass 30000 drive in velocity 30m/s after collision the car go back 3m/s so what is the velocity of the van if the car and the van drive in 1 direction on the street?... i really doubt if the velocity of car is -3m/s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If I understand you correctly, the problem statement tells you that the car bounces back at 3 m/s (and thus its velocity is -3 m/s). Use that fact to calculate the speed of the van after the collision.

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3
    but i still dont know why the car hit the van in the speed of 1 direction and the result the car bounce back 3m/s it not logic

5. Jun 21, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's certainly not realistic data. Perhaps you are misinterpreting what was meant:

Perhaps that means the speed of the car was reduced by 3 m/s. That would be much more realistic.

Did you provide the problem exactly as it was given to you, word for word? If not, try to do so.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook